Thursday, December 16, 2010

Candle-making

Making candles is something I've wanted to try my hand in for a while. Finally, yesterday afternoon I told myself: why not experiment? It costs virtually nothing and doesn't take a lot of time, and it's interesting for little ones to watch (though you have to be careful to keep them away from the hot wax).

I was inspired by Edith Schaeffer's book, "The Hidden Art of Homemaking":

"Candle-making is almost a lost art... everyone has stubs of candles, though many people toss them away as rubbish. These could be saved in a box, melted down and made into candles again. If you have the professional equipment, stubs can be used for your moulds, but if not, it is possible to use an empty tin can. You save the can after you rinse out the tomato juice, dry it and start pouring in your wax (melted in another tin can), combining colours in any way you like. To fasten the wick in the centre, stick it into the first half inch of wax when it starts to thicken, and tie the top end to a piece of wire fixed across the top of the can. Then pour in another inch or so of wax."

What I did was pretty much the same, although I used an empty yogurt can rather than a tin can for a mould: after the wax cooled down, I gently cut the plastic can and took it off the ready candle. Instead of a wire, I simply used a pencil placed across the top of the can.

It really is satisfying to make something useful out of something that would otherwise be thrown away into the garbage.

9 comments:

kolfinnas korner said...

We've made lots of candles this way! We have a 5 gallon bucket almost full of wax pieces, and a pan just for melting wax. We have made a few in candle molds (we found some long time ago at a rummage sale) but discovered we like making them in little cans or bottles. you could also make a candle in a decorative jar....and have a jar candle.

Anonymous said...

It's so pretty too! I think you just inspired me to try my hand at recycling candles! ^_^

Kimberly said...

Can I just say I love the title of the book you quoted: The Hidden Art of Homemaking

It just so perfectly described homemaking-an art form, and one that is hidden. Women's work is often hidden-but that doesn't mean it's not valuable or needed.

Mrs.Rabe said...

That's lovely Anna....

thecurryseven said...

Just curious (and I suppose I could experiment myself, but sinc you already have...), did you cut the used wicks out of the candle stubs? And, what did you use for new wick?

Thanks.

honeyfromflintyrocks said...

Hello Mrs. T!!
That very book is one of my favorites!! Hmm, I read it quite awhile ago now and after your post I think I need to re-read this gem.
Blessings,
~Mrs. R

Dena said...

I have some tins that would be perfect for this project.

Joie said...

Nice looking candle. Don't know how difficult this idea would be but a friend gave a soy candle to me that, after it has been lit and melted just a bit, is used as the most luscious lotion I have EVER used. Don't know what all is in it but I think you could make and SELL those babies for some good money in dry Israel.

The Original Wombman said...

Oh wonderful! Glad I came across this . . . it's a great way to not waste and so satisfying. BTW, the candle came out beautifully!