Monday, December 6, 2010

Holiday updates

 Dear friends,

Thanks to all who have inquired about our safety, following the horrible reports of the raging fires in northern Israel. I haven't been online the past few days, but now is a good time to tell that our home is not in the zone of fire and we're quite safe from it. May G-d turn His wrath upon the evil men who caused this terrible tragedy.

We're enjoying a quiet holiday here. My dear husband took a couple of days off so we can all be together and work on some household projects. It has been busy and restful at the same time. Busy because there's always a lot to do around here, restful thanks to the fact that we're here at home, following our own schedule and taking relaxing breaks as we go along.

In the picture above, you can see the hanukkiah my husband made for Shira from acorn shells and a wooden plank. It is done very simply. Shira and I collected the shells, and my husband drilled holes in the plank so the tips of the acorn shells will fit and fixed them with glue. Then we fixed the candles inside the shells. The interior around the candle is filled with water, so it will extinguish the flame as soon as it reaches the level of the acorn shell. Of course, such a hanukkiah still needs to be supervised since it's flammable.
And here are some grapefruits, picked and brought in, ready to be eaten raw, juiced, or made into marmalade.

I hope all the Jews out there, and especially in Israel, enjoy the remaining days of Hanukkah, and the families who lost their loved ones or their homes in the fire find consolation and know no more sorrow.

10 comments:

Joy said...

Hello to you again from the USA!

I am a grandmother age 76 and a Christian. It is interesting how much we think alike in living our lives before others and and to please Him who created us.

Actually the purpose of my note was to tell you that in following the fire news I thought of you, your husband and your sweet little ones many times the past few days and prayed for your safety. I was thankful to see your new post and know that you are safe.

You have a great blog.

Otter Mom said...

I'm glad that you are not in the danger zone where the fires are. I have thought of you when I heard the news reports, it's terrible.

Mrs. Parunak said...

I'm so thankful to know that you and your family are safe in the midst of this awful tragedy!

I love the hanukkiah your husband made. I think the water to extinguish the candle flames is just genius. But I'm curious about the "acorns." In the picture, they look huge. The acorns that fall off our oak tree are only the size of small marbles.

neuropoet3 said...

I too thought of you when I heard about the fires. I'm relieved to know you are far from danger... but so sad for those who are/were in harms way. My prayers are with them...


May the rest of your holiday season be a blessed one my far-away friend...

~Jenny (aka Nonna) :)

Ci-Sun said...

I can't believe that made from acorn shells and a wooden plank...thanks for the fantasy

Mrs. Anna T said...

I would like to please remind everyone that proselytizing is *not* welcome on this blog. I just had to delete a couple of comments from people who apparently don't realize that I'm an Orthodox Jew and do not wish to become a "double Jew" or whatever name you might call Jews who have renounced the basics of their faith. I hope everyone are having

Mrs. Anna T said...

Mrs. P, perhaps our oak trees are of a different variety, or perhaps this has something to do with the soil. Anyways these candles are quite thin so perhaps it looks larger than in real life.

Sarah said...

The report I heard was that a 14-year-old had admitted to negligence that caused the fire. Even if that's false and it was set on purpose by "evil men," as you say, isn't it rather harsh to pray for God to turn His wrath on them? Why not pray for them to repent and become better people?

Sianna said...

Well, since a 14 year old boy just admitted to being guilty of the fires by an accident that got out of hand - let's just hope the Lord will turn His mercy and forgivness over the boy instead of the wrath that you wished for...

Mrs. Anna T said...

I will never believe it was an accident, no matter what the news reports say, sorry. We've had plentiful of such "oopsies" where we live, only it never got out of hand this way.