Monday, December 13, 2010

The makings of marmalade

In the picture above, you can see marmalade from grapefruit peels that had been simmering on the stove all morning and into early afternoon. When you make marmalade or candied citrus peels, it is recommended to soak the peels in water for a couple of days, changing the water every 12 hours, to take away some of the bitterness. I didn't do it this time, and the product has a rather strong bitter taste, which means that its use might be limited to baking (which isn't bad either).

I generally have an aversion to using citrus peels in cooking and baking because of all the pesticides used on the fruit, but in this instance it's grapefruits organically grown in our garden. I think I'll use the remaining fruit for juice and zest. Zest keeps beautifully in the freezer and adds a lot of taste to cakes, cookies and sweet rolls.

4 comments:

Serena said...

I didn't know zest keeps in the freezer. Thank you for the tip!

Bethany Hudson said...

Well, even if it tastes a bit bitter, I'm sure your house smelled amazing while it was simmering!!

thecurryseven said...

Even though I grew up in Arizona with two orange trees in my yard and lemon and grapefruit trees in my grandmother's, I had no idea that you can freeze zest. What a great tip!

wendylf said...

Your marmalade looks great! Thanks for the tip about changing the water every 12 hours.

My daughters where making candied orange peel and went through the whole process, except boiling the peels to decrease the bitterness, and left if alone for a short time and burnt it! Wow, what a smell!

I'll buy some more organic oranges and we'll start again! :)

My great-aunts had grapefruit trees in Phoenix, too. My family never used the zest but juiced and froze the juice and ate them fresh.

Thanks for the tips!
Wendy