Monday, July 18, 2011

More snapshots from our household

 As you can see, we continue working on the chicken coop. The roof is a new addition, and yesterday my husband has been fixing a "nest" for them instead of the cardboard box in which they have been sleeping until now. 

From our observations, at least one of our birds, contrary to what we were promised, is a rooster. Now we're wondering what to do because we really hadn't planned on keeping a rooster, both because we don't want problems with the neighbours and because we aren't interested in fertilized eggs. On the other hand, the chicken which is presumably a rooster is the cutest and friendliest of the lot, so we're in a dilemma. 
Near our home, there is a beautiful narrow road where we often go for nature hikes. On our last such walk, we discovered a lot of tomatoes growing by the roadside. Since it didn't look as though they belong to anyone, we helped ourselves and came home with a bag of naturally grown tomatoes. They are very delicious and their taste is much more concentrated than that of store-bought tomatoes. Additionally, we had a wonderful time as a family picking them, and hopefully will return later on for the ones that aren't ripe yet right now.

Hope you are all having a lovely summer!

Mrs. T

11 comments:

Rose said...

Those tomatoes look beautiful Anna, really re and juicy.

Would it be possible to swap your rooster locally with someone who prepares home meat? They may be happy to take the rooster and give you a pullet in exchange.

Jacinda @ Growing Home said...

I just recently discovered your blog and am glad I did! It's so refreshing to stumble across something genuinely feminine! I've just added you to my link list.

Those tomatoes make my mouth water!

Ganeida said...

Um, I wouldn't become too attached to that rooster. Like most males they are territorial & get very aggressive as they mature. We had several at one stage & they could fend off most comers. Better than any dog. I'm told geese are better but I haven't tried them as a watch dog. lol

Madeleine said...

I just discovered your blog and ...how delightful!

I don't know ANYTHING about chickens, except my husband would like to have some. But with a yard on the smaller side and beagles, it is not such a great idea. lol. But we have plot in our community garden and we are growing tomatoes to die for!! We just harvested a zuccini that was 2 feet long. :P Who can eat that much zuccini in one sitting??!!?? lol

I will surely be popping in here for it is refreshing to the soul.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Ganeida, our neighbours had a duck once and he was just like a watch dog, pecked any guest that came up the steps. Wouldn't fancy something like that. ;o)

Leah Brand-Burks said...

What a blessing, finding such beautiful and FREE tomatoes! I'd be making up some salad with those! :)

Anonymous said...

ha ha, I wonder if anyone has tried desexing a chicken!

Sara

Thursday's Child said...

We had a rooster named DeNiro once. (I forget the breed but it was Italian, hence the name). He was a sweetheart. He was gentle with us, didn't peck me if I picked him up, and kept the other fellows in line. Yours may end up territorial with other birds but be OK with people. You won't know until he's mature. I would think if socialize him he should be fine with the girls. Invite visitors to interact with him so he gets used to it. Can't hurt.

If that doesn't work, there's always coq au vin. ;)

sara said...

If you're including small amounts of meat in you diet, couldn't you eat him?

Mrs. Anna T said...

Sara, I don't think we're capable of that, but we'll see :o)

Penniless Parenting said...

Ha, looks like you've stumbled upon sewage tomatoes, just as I have. They grow from tomato seeds that have gone through someone's system, ended in the toilet, and then in the sewers, where they sometimes come out if there is a slow leak and start growing. Based on the research I've done, I would eat them, but only cooked. We have a huge patch of sewage tomatoes near our house, but I'm only using them for tomato sauce, just in case there are any bacteria in the sewage. Just be careful.