Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Rice with ground beef

I wanted to share a recipe which began as filling for grape leaves, and turned into a dish of its own, and family favorite.


You’ll need:

1.5 cups of rice
3 onions
500 gr. Ground beef (we always have our beef freshly ground)
5 cloves of garlic, mashed
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. tomato paste
Approx. 2 cups of boiling water
Pepper, paprika, cumin, oregano, thyme, nutmeg and other spices to taste

Chop onions finely and sautee with a bit of oil and soy sauce, in a wide pan or shallow pot with a lid. Add rice, meat and spices and stir for a couple of minutes until thoroughly mixed. Mix tomato paste with boiling water and pour over rice. Mix well. Cover and cook until rice is soft, stirring occasionally.

This is very easy and delicious, and can of course be used as filling for stuffed vegetables (peppers, tomatoes, cabbage leaves) although we like it on its own. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Margaret said...

That looks YUM! :)

Rose said...

I wouldn't have thought of mixing some of those items, thank you Anna.

C.R. Urban Homesteader's said...

MMMMM sounds Great! I will have to try it!

TongueTales said...

I actually cook this meal often, with slight variations. I use ground turkey instead of ground beef. My kids love it. When I add tomotoes I just call it a "throw together" meal. Without tomatoes we just say its "dirty rice".

Fiona said...

I made this for dinner tonight and it was so tasty. My husband asked me to write and thank you because he enjoyed it so much. Thank you from both of us!