Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The best cheesecake ever



After all the rather prolific writing I've been doing lately, I thought it would be nice to post the best cheesecake recipes I have ever tried. I made several in the past, but this one is here to stay - it results in a delicious cake with very soft and light texture. It does take a bit of hassle, because you need to separate the egg whites from the yolks and beat the whites, and usually I prefer simple straightforward recipes with whole eggs, but in this case it's totally worth the effort.

The following will make quite a lot of cake, so if you think you don't want that much at once, you can half the quantities, but personally I recommend freezing. It freezes beautifully and tastes just like fresh when defrosted.

So, you will need:

6 eggs
3/4 cup sugar (it says 1 cup and a 1/4 in the original recipe, but I have found that half this much is enough and plenty for us).
1 kg cream cheese
200 ml sour cream (I once tried making it without sour cream and it comes out delicious as well).
3 tbsp. cornflour
3 tbsp. self-rising flour or plain white flour with a tsp. of baking powder
2-3 tbsp. instant vanilla pudding
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Separate eggs whites from the yolks and beat egg whites with sugar until they get the consistensy of soft foam. Then combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl, and slowly and carefully add beaten egg whites.

To this basic recipe you can add grated lemon or orange rind, grated white chocolate, or as I did today, 1 cup of ground coconut.

Pour into a large baking pan or several smaller ones and bake at medium heat. The baking time is around 1 hour, but might vary according to the size of your baking pan. The cake will be brown at the top well before it is ready, so you have to keep an eye on it, and as soon as it turns brown, loosely cover with aluminium foil and continue baking.

You can cover the cake with frosting, but I never do that - we like it as it is. Let it cool, remove to refrigerator and serve after several hours. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

Fresh or stewed fruit would be delicious on top!

Leah Brand-Burks said...

Nice! And it does look like a LOT of cake! Yum yum.

Anonymous said...

Do you mean the instant vanilla pudding powder, or the prepared kind?

Lady Anne said...

Oh, mercy! This was GOOD! I had to buy the instant pudding, as that's not a staple in our house, but it was worth the trip. Peaches are in season here, so I sliced one up and stewed it a bit and poured that over each serving. If you're not giving it to children, a dab of peach brandy might be nice, too.

Thanks, Anna!

Mrs. Anna T said...

Anon, the powder. Sorry for not being clear enough.

Lady Anne, I'm glad someone shares my enthusiasm! :)