Sunday, November 6, 2011

Book review: The Pig in the Pantry and Other Homeschool Tales

Some time ago I got an email from Rose Godfrey, asking me whether I would like to read and review her new book, "The Pig in the Pantry and Other Homeschool Tales". I happily agreed, of course, and over this weekend I read Mrs. Godfrey's book from start to finish, to my great delight.

Recently I have read quite a bit of "serious" homeschool literature, which was wonderfully inspiring but sometimes made me wonder whether there are people who are actually living up to all these lofty goals. Mrs. Godfrey's book is a collection of short stories from a very real, funny, bubbling-with-life large family, with a mother who pretty much tried it all and lived to tell the tale. Reading it was encouraging, in the way of talking to a good friend who makes you laugh like there's no tomorrow, and who doesn't think you are crazy if you are hiding a can of soda in your toilet container.

Overall, if there's any conclusion I have reached about child-rearing so far, as a young mother paddling along with her super-energetic nearly-3-year-old and an attention-seeking baby, it's that there isn't really a definite conclusion. There's not "one right" way to raise children or families or keep homes.

You don't have to live on a farm in the middle of nowhere in order to give your children the perfect authentic experience of nature and animal life. You don't have to live in a big city full of museums and beautiful architecture so that you can provide as many cultural development opportunities as possible.

...o You don't necessarily have to homeschool your children, nor send them to a particular kind of school.

... or provide just the right number of extra-curricular activities, play dates, play groups, field trips, spare rooms, a particular routine or anything specifically that has worked great for someone else's family but might not be a workable solution for yours.

There are, though, some essential components - love, time - a lot of time, as much as you can make, for it is from the very mundane "being there" that precious moments spring up - and patience, and my, I do hope that
!it includes the kids being patient with me as much as it means me being patient with them

2 comments:

Mrs. Anna T said...

I noticed that the dots and commas in this post got askew and can't figure out how to fix this, it's a quirk that sometimes comes with working on a Hebrew keyboard. My apologies.

Rose Godfrey said...

Thank you, Mrs. T. So glad you enjoyed the book!
Rose Godfrey