Tuesday, November 1, 2011

For the Family's Sake

"For the Family's Sake"  by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay is a book I just got started on, but it's so good I couldn't wait to share some selected quotes with you. I have been wanting to read this book ever since I got "For the Children's Sake", by the same author, and it doesn't disappoint.

***


"It is easy to excuse ourselves from working at our everday lives with the words, "if only..."


"If only I were married."
"If only I were married to another person."
"If only we could leave this miserable home and have a nice place."
"If only my spouse had not died/left me."
"If only I had more money or a better job."
"If only I had more time/energy/ideas."
"If only I'd had a good childhood model."

I can tell you, so many of these "if onlys" sounded familiar that it sent a chill down my spine and served as a true wake-up call to do the best I can with what I have.

Here is another quote I loved:

"How could anyone dare to suggest or say that working at the huge task of making a home and carrying on through years and years of ups and downs is not one of the very few truly worthwhile ways to spend our energies and gifts in human life?"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I apologize if this sounds a little harsh (not intended) but... How come you're always recommending Christian literature instead of reviewing Jewish books, the scriptures, etc?

Mrs. Anna T said...

Anon, that's probably because stay-at-home motherhood, and especially homeschooling, are not very common in Jewish society. I haven't been able, for instance, to get my hands on any Jewish homeschooling guides yet.

ConsciouslyModest said...

Contentment is a valuable commodity. Life always seem better and the grass is always greener until we actually get what we want :)

Mrs. H said...

Love the quotes, esp. the last one. They are so true. I have this book on my shelf and have not had the chance to read it yet, but can't wait! My son is 1, and I want my vision to be clear when the time comes to homeschool. Thank you for sharing!

www.acorkerslife.blogspot.com

Maria said...

Mrs T. - Thank you so much for recommending this book! It seems like exactly what I'm looking for, and I'm already familiar with the author. Being unmarried and living with your parents certainly lends itself to many "if only..." thoughts.