Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A new bird


My husband knows I'm partial to black chickens, so two days ago he got me this cute black pullet you can see in the picture above. Now, since she is so small, yesterday she managed to escape through the bars of the chicken house and was gone all day. I thought it was the last I had seen of her, but just after sunset she turned up and went into the coop to sleep with the other chickens.

This morning, I noticed the new bird is getting pecked at a lot, which is probably unsurprising, considering it's a newcomer and much smaller than the others. Luckily for her, she can get out of the coop while the others can't, so they can't really harm her (though they still show every sign of aggression). I left her to wonder around the yard, while keeping the rest cooped up inside. They have access to the same feeder, and the little chicken is seen but can get away from the pecking. I do hope they all get used to each other soon and order is established.

If anyone has tips on introducing a new bird to your flock, advice would be most welcome.

8 comments:

Gothelittle Rose said...

The pecking order thing is 100% normal and will subside naturally in time. :) You said that you hope "order is established".. you're more right than you know. That's why they call it "pecking order"!

We always just tossed the new bird in and let pecking order commence. Once they're done, everything will be all set.

lisa said...

Anna,
I grew up on a poultry farm and my hubby and have been raising laying hens for 10 years. When we get a new bird(s), we usually put the new bird in a cage of some sort next to the others birds. We leave them like that for a week or so, and the "old" gals watch the new girl. The new hen gets used to be around the old hens, but doesn't get pecked. Usually by the end of 7-10 days, we put the new hen in the chicken coop with the others and they get along fine. Hope this helps.
Blessings,
Lisa

EllaJac said...

oh she's pretty!

In my experience, after a little while of bullying, everyone knows their place, and it all eases up. If it wasn't her being the smallest/picked on, it would another, and SHE would be part of the aggressors. :)

That said, I don't know that I've ever introduced only *one* into a flock. It's good she can escape and have space - space is certainly a benefit to easing that transition. :)

I hope you are blessed with many eggs!

Rose said...

Anna, pop over to Rhonda's when you can and have a look here, it might help.

http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com/2009/01/biggest-kitchen-table-keeping-chickens.html

T. Taylor Joo said...

Do black chickens taste different? (or lay brown eggs?)

Do American-Israelis do Thanksgiving in Israel?

Mrs. Anna T said...

T. Taylor,

I have no idea. This hen isn't laying yet.

About Thanksgiving, I honestly don't know. Perhaps you should ask someone who is American-Israeli!

Mrs. Anna T said...

Rose, thanks a lot for the useful link! I know Rhonda writes about chicken-raising sometimes, but as her posts are so numerous, it isn't always easy to find!

Analytical Adam said...

I wish I knew more about your husband

What does your husband think about many things? His struggles at work? What exactly does he do?

Your husband is suppose confide in you and if he isn't I don't know if it is so good and instead likes to focus on him being your helpmate which is nothing wrong with sometimes but if this is his main way of relating I don't think it is what God intended and that being the case really giving you much satisfaction and really appreciate your husband and men in general.

It concerns me some men just like to always be nice to women (in the workplace they try to kiss up to women) because they think it will make them more secure in their job knowing the feminist politics of today but that isn't their primary role as a man and I don't believe truly give women satisfaction when a husband doesn't confine in his wife.

Furthermore, this may backfire in the workplace as well at some point.

Adam