Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A taste of winter

Winter in Israel doesn't exactly mean shoveling snow, but we still get more than enough days which are rainy or very windy, so we stay home, apart from a quick dash to feed the chickens (who would have been horrified if they knew that the wonderful aroma spreading throughout the house is actually chicken soup).

So, these past few days, we've had rain or strong winds non-stop. The winds were such that two days ago, I got up at 4 in the morning and let the chickens out of the coop because I was sure it was going to collapse right on them (it did not - what a pleasant surprise).

Anyway, we have been cooped in the house, ourselves, and those of you who are mothers to small children know what this means. It's generally easiest to occupy children out of doors. There are plenty of interesting things to see, a lot of what can be professionally called "educational opportunities", and you don't have to worry about stains on the floor or crumbs on the sofa. A couple of rainy days, though, and a bad case of cabin fever starts to form.

So, after we've exhausted our supply of picture books and puzzles, I proceeded to constructing a doll's house from an old shoe box, with furniture made out of match boxes and corks. We also made a tent from some chairs with a large blanket draped over them, and spent quite a while observing a spider spinning its web on the outside part of one of the windows. It will last, I suppose, until next time I clean the windows on the outside.

Soon enough, a fine day will come and we'll go out to observe how everything is turning from dry yellow to vibrant green, and how winter flowers are beginning to pop out of the earth. And now, some hot soup is waiting for us on the stove, and I hope that you, like us, are headed for a delicious lunch (or breakfast, or dinner, or tea).

Warmly,

Mrs. T

5 comments:

Leah Brand-Burks said...

I certainly know the feeling of having cooped up kids to entertain! I've got these two boys, and we've resorted to kicking a (soft) ball up and down the hall, and they take turns chasing it! Soup looks delicious, but don't tell the chickens! :-)

Beka said...

have you tried making salt clay? It's way better than play dough. I'm a big girl and I make more and more complicated designs from it, and it's pretty flexible, and still easy enough for a little 2-yr-old to mix and play with.

1 part salt
2 parts flour (cheap, white)
1 part water

It can be colored with food coloring, and is kid-safe with no chemicals. I love, love, getting my hands into clay and molding. It can be fun and educational. I bake them at low heat, or sun-dry them. Then I varnish the ones I want to keep with wood varnish to keep away prowling insects.

This is what I made - a Homestead table of homecooked food, all in miniature!

Shalom! I can email you the instructions if you want.
http://rebekahmui.blogspot.com/2010/08/these-was-miniature-set-i-entered-for.html

Mrs. Anna T said...

Beka, what a wonderful idea. I will probably try it soon.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Beka, I just wanted to tell you I tried making it this afternoon and it was a big hit around here! Thanks.

Beka said...

I'm so glad you love it! Shalom!