Sunday, November 27, 2011

Winter flowers

I was pleasantly surprised to spot narcissuses popping up all over our yard, in every crack between the rocks. Here is one of the first clumps that has burst into bloom. I saw cyclamen leaves come up too, and it all looks very promising - seems we'll have a carpet of flowers once the rain season advances!

We've been very busy here, as always. Thanks to all who have sent us useful tips about introducing new chickens to a hen-house. I'm pleased to say our old birds are already letting the new one eat from the same tray once they have eaten their fill, without pecking her.

I hope there will be time for a longer post and/or more photos, later this week. In the meantime, I remain

your friend,

Mrs. T

8 comments:

Gothelittle Rose said...

The difference in geographical areas (and terminology in countries) always amazes me. :) I had no clue what you meant by "narcissus", but you had a picture of daffodils on your post. So I look it up online and hey, lookit that, in North America they call the "narcissus" a "daffodil". I've heard them called "daffodils", "daffy's", and even occasionally "daffy-down-dilly's" for years, never thought of it as a narcissus!

Naomi said...

Wow!! (: How pretty!! (: We also have narcissuses popping up here but none of them have bloomed yet (:

Mrs. Anna T said...

Gothelittle Rose, I won't be surprised if I simply got the name wrong, as English isn't my native language. :o)

Mrs. Anna T said...

PS: Nope. Just did Google Images on narcissus - looks like this flower for sure. :)

Gothelittle Rose said...

No, you got it right, Anna. :) I just uncovered yet another colloquialism, that's all. I'm sure they don't call it a daffodil outside of North America.

Rose said...

We have bulbs which pop up in the garden too and we have been here for thirty years! It's lovely to have flowers planted by former owners of the house. Enjoy.

Hilde said...

Narcissi are my absolute favourite. How lovely it must be to have them just come up surprisingly! I have planted about hundred bulbs a few weeks ago, and hope to get maybe eighty of them flowering in February or March. Are yours the kind with the wonderful scent?

Miu said...

On the 'narcissus' issue: In German the flower is called similarly :)