Monday, January 16, 2012

Hello from the hills

Things have been busy, busy, busy here lately, in this little house nestled at the side of a hill. What with a very rainy week, which meant staying mostly inside (and making three times as much mess as usual), and having people over for (a very rainy, etc) Shabbat, time just whizzed by without me making a single update in over a week. In the short time I had off, I did write (frantically!), but not online.

Just before last Shabbat, I heard my little black hen clucking in a worried sort of way, like she usually does when she wants to let me know there's a stray cat around. But when I went out, I saw a different type of intruder.

This type of partridge is a common local bird I'm very partial to, and I'm sure you can see why. Cute, isn't it? It has a round shape and is about the size of a small hen. I particularly like seeing them with their chicks walking after their mama all in a straight line. This one was attracted by the all-day buffet we offer to the chickens.
The hens were a bit suspicious at first...
But ended up letting the guest eat from their tray, as you can see above. It stayed for two days, pecking around the yard with the chickens, then left - probably to rejoin its own flock.

I hope to post again before long. In the meantime, wishing you all a wonderful week,

Your friend,

Mrs. T

6 comments:

Lady Anne said...

It is always such a delight when a "wild" animal comes to visit you, isn't it? We get deer, foxes and racoons (we don't have chickens, or we wouldn't be quite as pleased!) in our yard, and it so interesting to watch them.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Lady Anne, what's *less* delightful is the mouse I recently saw near the chicken's feeding tray! Eek!

Elizabeth said...

Looks like a chukar.

Kristen said...

I've never seen a partridge before. It's a beautiful bird. We live near a river and have skunks, coyotes and raccoons visit us.

Mrs. Reverend Doctor said...

Be very careful, any wild bird can spread germs/parasites to yours by contact and shared food.

Miu said...

What a cute guest!