Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Leftover rice kugel


I don't have the camera today, so I am using the photo from gourmetkoshercooking.com


Ever been stuck with leftover rice? Nowadays, they usually go to the chickens, but today I made kugel from some leftover rice:

2 cups plain cooked rice
2-3 eggs
approx. 1\2 cup sweetener - sugar, molasses etc. I used date spread.
a handful of dried fruit - I used prunes and dried apricots, but raisins would be perfect
a dash of cinnamon and vanilla essence to taste

Mix thoroughly, pour into baking pan of appropriate size and bake until top is golden brown. I baked for 40 minutes at medium heat, but this will vary considering your oven and the depth of the baking pan.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Laura :) said...

I will have to check out the website and practice some kosher recipes and impress my Jewish friends! I am trying to educate myself. Love your blog!

Alana said...

Mmmm, looks delicious! In my part of the world we call that rice pudding! Now you've put me in the mood...

Beka said...

Nice recipe! Sounds simple and yummy. What kind of rice do you use? Do you cook it in a rice cooker? You may love brown rice. i add grains of wheat and rye to brown rice and it is so fragrant. I'm Asian so I eat rice very often.

Joluise said...

This is like rice pudding that I make and is so tasty.

With any left over rise I have - it goes into the freezer and I use it later, this is great for any thing, but particularly fried rice. In fact I always make more rice than I need so I can freeze a couple of individual serves.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Alana, I was sure rice pudding is always made with milk :-)

Beka, I used plain white rice for this. I cook it in a shallow pot on the stove.

Joluise said...

I make my rice pudding with cream, much richer:) and tastes way better.