Friday, January 6, 2012

A short time before Shabbat

Time is short, and there is always so much to do before Shabbat - floors to mop, laundry to hang out, children to bathe and dress, and most of all, food to cook. Somehow, even though I begin planning for Shabbat since the beginning of the week, and start cooking (and freezing) sometime around mid-week, I always find myself with some last-minute ideas and in the midst of a frantic race, complete with counting down minutes until sunset and the soothing moment of lighting Shabbat candles, when all work ceases.

In particular, since we moved into our new home, we're having much more company over than we used to. We are fortunate enough to have got, for free, a very nice sturdy table which comfortably extends to ten seats, and I use its maximum capacity because I just never know how many guests are going to show up for Friday night dinner. What's nice, though, is that around here, guests usually bring their own food from home (especially if the invitation was on the spur of the moment), which turns each dinner into a pot luck party.

What I love the most about good food (besides its being comfortingly delicious), is the wonderful smell that wafts all through the house as I am cooking. I love dishes which call for long, slow cooking, because it permits me to enjoy their aroma for a longer while. Yesterday, for instance, I made beef stew that cooked for 3 hours. The smell and warmth were delightful, especially in cold weather!

I must be off; Shabbat preparations are calling strongly, even though it's only 10 AM. I wish all my readers a very pleasant weekend!

Mrs. T

9 comments:

Laura :) said...

Thank you for explaining about Shabbat. This helps me to understand what our friends in Israel are doing on Friday and Saturday. (I am the Laura that emailed you...I do have some more questions and will email them soon.)

The Retro Homemaker said...

I love slow cooking dishes as well! I am making beef stew tonight! :)

Sjondi said...

Shabbat Shalom!

Rose said...

Oh Anna, both the bread and the capsicums looks delish!

Tammy said...

Shabbat shalom! :)

Anonymous said...

Ah, traditions. Beautiful traditions. Have a blessed Shabbat.
Mrs. L.

Leah Brand-Burks said...

Now THAT is some beautiful Challah! Great job, Anna!

Melissa said...

I would be over at your house for dinner every night too! I can almost smell the bell peppers ~ how wonderful they look!

Sharon said...

It is a lot of extra trouble during the week to prepare properly for the Sabbath (we celebrate the Christian sabbath) but what a blessing it is to have that day of rest!