Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Baked apples on a cold morning

Yesterday, I decided that baked apples in red wine would make the perfect dessert for a cold day. But as it turned out, I had no red wine - what I did have was grape juice and arak, and my volatile imagination immediately made a match between the two. I took:

1/2 cup natural grape juice
2 tablespoons arak
1 tablespoon honey, slightly diluted with hot water
A sprinkle of cinnamon, a dash of nutmeg, and some vanilla essence

I mixed it all and poured over halved, peeled apples in a baking dish. Into the oven it went, filling the house with the delightful smell of cinnamon, until apples were tender. Later we enjoyed eating the apples with cream.

I especially like this recipe because there's no refined sugar in it.



Illustration photo: wenderly.com. Yes, I know. I should have taken a picture *head hangs low*. Hopefully, next time, because with such delight, there is sure to be next time, and probably more experimental variations of Baked Apple Wonder.

2 comments:

Avigayil said...

Arak???? Are you joking? Hmmmm. Well, as long as it was good.....For me, baked apples aren't baked apples without maple syrup and LOTS of it.

Mrs. Anna T said...

I know it sounds weird, but after baking, the alcohol evaporates and you are left with the most delicate trace of anise. It *is* good. :-)