Monday, April 30, 2012

Children are a Blessing film

I simply had to post another update after watching this uplifting message from a family that has welcomed a tenth child. I was lucky enough to stumble upon this film on about the last day it can be watched for free; I don't know how many of my readers will have time to benefit from this link, but I'm sharing it anyway. 

I realize that this issue is controversial; that lives, circumstances, situations, capabilities are different; that there is infertility, health problems, family issues; that some people really do function better, others worse, in a setting of a large family. But I will always, in a secret place of my heart, wish I had been born to one - although of course, I realize it was all planned and arranged so that my destiny, my calling was to be born and raised an only child. 

And I will always be thankful for belonging to a large family now, through my husband; I am lucky to have brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews, people who are welcoming, embracing, and enjoying life, in all its varying circumstances, even its tragedies. Regardless of whether we ourselves ever have more children, or the number of such, my daughters have aunts, uncles and cousins. 

Some families are destined to be small; they can then be embraced by larger, close-knit families. But once a small family unit became an ideal, and a widespread norm, our society fell apart. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel sorry for the children - that type of fundamentalist Christianity is so narrow and intolerant of other religions and world views - they don't seem to have any understanding that other people have different but equally valid religious and moral beliefs. I am happy for them though that they have been able to have the large family they desire - it's obviously the right thing for them. It's not for everybody though and I'm thankful that couples are able to choose not to have a large family (or indeed have chidlren at all) if they believe it's not right for them.

joy said...

But maybe we need to redefine our notion of family as well. My husband and I cannot bring another child into the world nor can we adopt. I won't get into why. I am also an only child and his sister is estranged. We also live far from parents, cousins, etc. So, we have redefined our notion of family and are surrounded by friends who are every bit our family through our shared faith. This family-of-choice has been a blessing every bit as much as blood relatives.

Anonymous said...

I don't really believe in this family of choice thingy. Joy, wait untíl you get old and see if someone of your family of choice takes care of you when you become longterm ill or just senile. The problem with friends is that they usually stay only as long as they can get some benefit out of the relationship. There is not this sense of duty that you have in relations by blood.