Sunday, April 29, 2012

Quails

Someone we know had a surplus of quails, so he gave us several young ones. I didn't know about it until I walked out into the yard and saw the improvised shelter my husband set up for them. They are very cute and fluffy-looking, and so far, make only very soft sounds (although I have heard quail males can make loud sounds when calling). I can't tell myself, but we were told we have both males and females there, although the females are still too young to begin laying eggs.

This is our first experience with quails, so I'm reading everything I can get my hands on about their keeping. If any of you have ever had quails, your advice would be most welcome!

3 comments:

summerof100recipes said...

The eggs are tiny, but delicious hard-boiled with a little salt or sesame seeds to dip them in. They cook fast, and their size is perfect for little hands.

I've never actually kept quail, because they're abundant in the wild where I live and many people go hunting for them. I do have a few fine recipes that aren't overly "gourmet" if you find yourself eating any.

LE

harper said...

I know nothing about raising quail, but they roam wild in my area. If the domestic ones are anything like their feral counterparts, these are NOT intelligent birds. They are highly indecisive. When startled, they will often run back and forth trying to decide in which direction to flee and whether to walk or fly. I don't know if that's helpful, but it is certainly amusing to watch (provided you are not trying to avoid hitting them with your car).

:D

Joy said...

I have a friend who raises them and lost almost 50 of her flock. Only two were left, a male and female. She told me that she has to start over with only these two birds because quail will not accept "outside" members.