Monday, May 28, 2012

And another week begins...

It feels as though I have been away for so long (although only a few days have passed), that I hardly know where to begin. Most of all, and above all, I'm just very happy with how the Shabbat and holiday went. In the days before Shabbat, we were of course all in a flurry of making good food - I made pot roast chicken, meat balls in tomato sauce, and baked potatoes, and my husband made a potful of his delicious fish stew (I haven't forgotten all those who asked for a recipe - I just need to corner the man and ask him exactly how he makes it!). And of course on Friday we baked a large batch of our homemade bread. I made braided challah.

Then on Shavuot (Sunday), which was my husband's birthday, a family of friends that lives nearby came over for lunch and we had a great time celebrating, relaxing around the table and talking, and of course, sampling the birthday cake, photos of which (dear me!) I abysmally failed to provide. 

Today, after a double Shabbat of sorts, it was time to seriously dive in into all that has been left undone from Friday night and until this morning. There was a lot of laundry, all of which I heroically tackled in the first half of the day, and then, in a spontaneous "let's do it" way, I decided to make pizza with the girls. They were so happy - involved in every stage of the process, from mixing to kneading to rolling the dough, to helping stir and spread the sauce and toppings... covered in flour up to their ears, busily assisting, and feeling all the importance of their doing so! The final result is in the photo below... 
And while the dough was rising, a lonely package of cream caught my eye and I grabbed the electric beater to make ice cream. I followed my usual recipe, with the variations of using cream cheese instead of milk and carob spread instead of chocolate or halva spread. Mmm. 

Naturally there was a lot of kitchen clean-up to do after all that... evidence to vibrant family life at home, happy children, and creative cooking. :o) I'm good and tired now, and in eager anticipation of a warm shower, bed, and a nice slow day tomorrow.

I hope your weekend was lovely!

Your friend,

Mrs. T

4 comments:

Rose said...

A belated but very happy b'day to you Mr T.

Lady Anne said...

I will have to try your recipe. I wonder how Nutella would work? Hmm.

I frequently make strawberry ice cream. Two cups of strawberry puree (if you don't have a blender, just beat them with a potato masher), 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of plain milk, and one cup of good cream, whipped. Fold all this together in a large-ish metal bowl and put it in the freezer. Stir it twice, five minutes apart, and then cover it with foil or cling-film and leave it until you need it.
I know you want something you don't need to stir, but this can be done whilw you are washing up - you don't need to remember to come back to it - so it's not too bad, and BOY! is it good!

Mrs. Anna T said...

Lady Anne, I think Nutella would work splendidly. Your strawberry ice cream recipe sounds great, I'll have to try this if ever I have strawberries to spare around here! Normally they just get devoured on the spot whenever we have any :)

Suze said...

I often make a stock from my chicken left overs. I save the bones until I can make a big crock pot full of broth. right now I have beef bones in my big pot. They will simmer all night and tomorrow I will make a beef and barley broth. It is wintery here now and I have grown to love clean tasting soups.

Thank you for sharing so much with us/