Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Chicken bone soup

I don't exactly make stock around here, but I do often cook a slow-simmering, rich soup from the bony parts of a chicken which are often discarded. This makes a delicious, nutritious and economical meal - and it can be put together in a very short time. It's best to make it in the morning, then allow it to simmer on the stove top all the way till lunch.

To make it, you will need:

- the bony parts of one chicken (wings, neck, back bones)

- vegetables: basically, everything goes. I like to throw in one roughly chopped onion, a couple of carrots, some potatoes, several cloves of garlic... some celery is great if you have it, or some bell peppers - anything you have on hand.

- 1 cup pearl barley

Cover the chicken, vegetables and barley with water, just until they are covered. Ideally the water should be cold, but I sometimes (like today) start with pre-boiled water to save time.

Add salt and season to taste... and prepare for a looong time of enjoying the smell of your soup, right until the moment when you can finally eat it!


4 comments:

Leah Brand-Burks said...

I do this sort of thing in our crock pot. DEElicious!

Heather said...

I love this! I make chicken stock/veggie stock a lot. I actually try to make a lot at one time, and then freeze in glass jars so that I have it ready when I need it for soup/curry/stew etc. It is so much cheaper to make from leftovers, and I think that people sometimes forget that they can use the whole chicken, not just the breast meat :-) You can find my veggie stock recipe here http://www.townsend-house.com/2011/11/vegetable-soup.html

harper said...

I love this kind of soup, but I stopped making it because my husband hates having to pick through the chicken.

Anonymous said...

Harper, sew a simple bag from cheesecloth and put the chicken bones in that before putting them in the water. When the soup is "done", remove the bag and there will be no bones to frustrate your husband.

Charleston, South Carolina USA