Monday, July 16, 2012

The downside of panic

Two days ago, my husband and I woke at around 4 a.m. to the sound of a rooster's desperate wails. Of course, the first thing we thought was "another fox attack" - and then we scrambled for our clothes. We found the poor rooster in the balcony fence, where he was stuck without being able to move backward or forward. The moment we disentangled him, he jumped down and bolted towards the bushes... there was no way we could have found him in the dark, and the fox must have got him in the end because we didn't see him since. 

Foxes are sly creatures. When they can't get into the coop, they prowl around and rattle the fence and do everything in general to induce panic in the chickens and make them leave their safe high perch and fly outside the coop, where they become easy targets, or run amok around the coop, where the fox can get them with his paws. 

While the first rooster was running like crazy around the yard, the second continued safely on his perch, where the fox absolutely couldn't get him. It was as though he knew that the best thing in his situation would be to do nothing... or perhaps he was just too sleepy to react.

This got me thinking... we human beings are supposed to be much more intelligent than chickens, but how many times do we run amok, exposing ourselves to the very danger we seek to avoid? Panic may induce us to do things we will sorely regret later, while in fact, in some cases it is truly better to do nothing; to wait out on our safe perch until the danger passes by. 

Illustration photo: wikinut

5 comments:

Mrs. Young said...

Good morning, Mrs. Anna.
I don't recollect commenting on your blog before, but I MUST today. You have NO idea what this particular post did for me spiritually.
I was in a "place" this morning (oh, and I did want to email this to you as a private testimony, but for some reason when I'd click "email" on your blog, it wouldn't go through); there are things that I'm dealing with in my life that is just....but anyway.
I was in a seriously contemplative place this morning, wondering, hoping, being tired. Then, I opened up this post and read it. Before I even got to the end, I felt a peace descending from above. I KNEW that God was giving me a Word--a Word through the story of a rooster!! :)
Blessed be His Name! I tell you, I called my daughter in, and read it to her, and reminded her about a dream I'd had just last week about chickens. God prepared my heart for this post, and I believe that He intends for me to "stand still", and see His Salvation. I thank God so much for you, and for this post. Be blessed. I am encouraged. Thank you.

Naomi said...

Lovely post!! (:

Mrs. V. said...

I think focusing on the good and pure things in life make it so much easier for us to not be thrown into panic mode like you described. If we refrain from filling our minds with what the world has to offer and instead concentrate on the things God offers instead ~ how much calmer our lives will be!

Mrs. Anna T said...

Mrs. Young, thank you for your touching testimony! It was lovely to hear from you.

Rose Godfrey said...

Excellent observation. We can learn a lot from bird brained roosters.