Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Baking day

Apple and plum rolls with cinnamon. The smell was so lovely all throughout the house.

I also made really fancy braided challah, and at the last moment, just before I brushed it with beaten egg, rememered that I forgot to add salt and lumped it all back together, as sorry as I was to do so. I ended up with rather sad-looking little buns, and I hope I will be excused from providing a photo of this culinary fiasco. :o) Well, even experienced bakers have their bloopers, and I'm still far from being one... 

Right now, I have salmon steaks in the oven, with teriaki marinade, rosemary and thyme. They smell delicious. 

I have found my menu plans considerably easier to follow ever since I discovered freezer cooking - I thoroughly recommend it to all my friends who are bogged down by cooking for Shabbat on Friday. If you have the time during the week, and freezer space, and if you choose the foods that freeze well and taste fresh after they are defrosted, it's possible to make cooking a breeze. I especially like taking advantage of this option in the summer, when an overtime-working oven certainly does not help keep a house cool.

3 comments:

Suze said...

I agree that planning ahead and making things to suit your needs is a great idea. Good for you for making it work. I would have loved to have seen the challah. I want to learn how to cook Kosher foods.

Kristen said...

Those apple plum rolls look yummy! Recipe, please? At least for the filling! I love baking, too, but I'm never terribly creative. My kids just love fresh bread with butter and jam, so that's what I make! :)

Cherish said...

Apple plum rolls sound very good. I've forgotten ingredients before and sometimes it's too late to add the missing item. Frustrating.