Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Baking day

 Pear, date and cinnamon rolls...
... and braided challah - all made from one batch of my favorite WonderDough! I can tell you, it was fun to roll up our sleeves, stick our hands in and work at it. 

I like days like the one we are having today the most - full, but not hectic; plenty to be done, but not too much to overwhelm. I have just discovered the beautiful instrumental music of Brian Crain, which goes along with me on my merry way. If you've never listened to him, give it a try. So lovely and soothing - any words I can say aren't enough to describe it. 

In case you are wondering, our new goats are adjusting well, and the girls are having great fun feeding them treats. It's very rewarding to see how very little leftovers we have now - between the goats, the chickens and the dog, our garbage fills much more slowly than it used to.

Yesterday, while talking with some friends, I was startled to find out that summer is officially over, and children are back in schools. Well, we took no notice of that... for us it's summer still, although the spirit of the autumn holidays can already be felt in the air. Soon enough, it will rain again, and everything will turn lovely and green, and we shall miss the lovely long days and starry nights before summer is upon us next time around. 

7 comments:

Lady Anne said...

Tell us more about this "Wonder Dough". Inquiring minds want to know.

Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com said...

That looks delicious! Would you care to share your WonderDough recipe?

Mrs. Anna T said...

The WonderDough originally belongs to my WonderNeighbour and friend, Itta. :o) :

1 kg flour
2 tbsp. dry yeast
3 tbsp. sugar
3-4 tbsp. oil
2-3 cups water - knead until dough is pleasant to work with

let rise until doubles in size
then knead in 1 tbsp. salt (for sweet rolls, omit salt)

Let rise again and... it's ready for being shaped into rolls, bread, challah, pizza crusts... anything! It's really convenient to keep this one recipe in my head for anything yeasty I want to make.

Anonymous said...

Your baking always looks so beautiful! Mine tastes good, but is not nearly so pretty (and I'm 50 yrs old - and, admittedly not a gifted baker).

Sally

Lady Anne said...

Thanks!

so many things to love... said...

I would love to have your recipe for the pear, date and cinnamon rolls. Would you tell me how to make that filling?

Mrs. Anna T said...

My usual recipe for the filling: take whatever fruit you have, chop, throw into pot or pan, add sugar if necessary and sautee until soft. :o) In this case, I took around 3-4 pears, peeled and sliced them, placed them in a pan with 2-3 tbsp. of date spread (or you can mash up dates in a food processor) and some cinnamon, and cooked it all for a few minutes.