Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Bounty

 In the photos, you can see some lovely fresh figs and carobs from local trees. Each time, I am overwhelmed by the generous bounty there is for taking, as the summer (slowly and, in Israel, almost imperceptibly) draws to a close.
Also, the past week was a mark of a kind for me - the nursing pillow got put away, for the first time in 3.5 years. I am still nursing Tehilla, but not often or long enough to justify taking half the space from the couch by a nursing pillow that sits there full-time. Looking at the old dear nursing pillow gave me a bittersweet pang, as I thought of how long and well we've been able to nurse, and how this season, inevitably, passes away to be replaced by new things, just as lovely but in a different way, and how what has passed may never return again, and will remain all the more precious in our memory.

I hope you, too, find new beauties in your daily journey, wherever it may take you.

5 comments:

Thia said...

It is bittersweet. Nursing is drawing to a close for us too.

charis said...

How old is Tehilla now? How long did you nurse Shira? I have a 16mo old daughter (my firs) who is still nursing, and LOVE it. To think of being done seems sad at this point.

The summer produce is so much fun... I am right in the middle of canning and freezing in my part of the US. :)

Mrs. Anna T said...

Charis, Tehilla is almost 2. Shira nursed for 15 months, but by that time I was halfway through my pregnancy.

Anonymous said...

Dear Anna,
Just love your simple peaceful blog.My nursing pillow is long gone but I do remember giving the first one away only to have to buy a second after an unexpected 17 year gap between three children.His
ways are not our ways.

Many Blessings
Molly

Caroline said...

Dear Anna,
First, let me tell you that I really enjoy reading your blog.

I remember how I felt when I had to put away my comfy nursing pillow in waiting for another little one to use it (either in our home or in another).
Bettersweet moments and memories : that's life with little ones I guess...

I have one question for you : what do you cook with carobs, or how do you cook them? I have absolutely no clue as I live in France and I'm not even sure I have ever seen some of these in real.

Thank you
Caroline