Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Around here

I wanted to let you all know that, although fighting in Israel is still going on, we are out of harm's way for the time being and are leading a normal life. Here are just a few tidbits of what has been going on around here lately:

* There were particularly strong winds last weekend, and our goat pen got literally blown over (that is to say, the roof was at the bottom). I know, I know - after all the hard work we put in! But my husband was able to set it right with the help of some friends, although now it doesn't, ahem, look as nice as it did in the beginning.

* My husband brought home a lot of zucchini. And when I say a lot, I mean a lot. So I made zucchini quiche, zucchini cake, pasta with zucchini and pot roast chicken with potatoes and zucchini. I believe now I can truthfully say we have enjoyed this lovely vegetable to the fullest. :-) 


(The above is an illustration photo. Mine weren't as pretty.) 

* I have just finished reading Mediterranean Cookery by Claudia Roden. It's a lovely cookbook with many interesting and practical recipes, but so much more as well - tales of customs, places, dishes, lifestyle, and history. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and found a lot that can be applicable in our kitchen - I think Mediterranean is the style we are closest to, in cooking. Onions, eggplants and tomatoes always have a place of honor with me, as does olive oil. All the recipes in the book have been kosher-adapted. 

So, just to assure you that we are doing well, and are busy with the usual humdrum of life around here. I hope the same is true for you, and that you are having a wonderful day!

Mrs. T

7 comments:

Mrs. White said...

I was worried and had been praying for you and your family, after watching the news last night. I am so glad to hear an update and that all is well!

That cookbook sounds great. I love the ones that include stories and more than just recipes.

Have a wonderful day!

Mrs.Rabe said...

Thankful to hear you are well and safe.

Praying for Israel!

Deanna

Leah Brand-Burks said...

This is so good to hear. I woke up this morning thinking about you and your family. Hooray for zucchini! ;-)

Lady Anne said...

We are vegetarians, and one of our favorite recipes is Egg and Zucchini Bake.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook about 4 ounces of spaghetti or other pasta.
While that is going on, saute zucchini and tomatoes together.
Put drained pasta into a greased 9 x 9 pan, and make a "pocket" in each corner. Break an egg into each pocket. Arrange the zucchini and tomatoes around the edges of the dish and between the eggs. Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake at 350F until the eggs are set to your liking.

Ganeida said...

We are praying for the peace of Israel. Blessings.

Heather said...

We are thinking of your family often and keeping you in our prayers! I'm so glad to hear you are safe!

Tracy's corner said...

Praying for Isreal. Glad you are o.k.