Tuesday, November 6, 2012

It took a lot of work, but here we are!

Our does are in their new home. Well, I could only get a decent picture of one of them, but you get the idea. Isn't she cute? We did a lot of work yesterday prior to letting them in, such as using a large amount of PVC we were gifted with to create a rain and wind-sheltered space. My muscles are all seized up, so I can only hope the goats appreciate it. There are still some minor fixes and changes to be made, not to mention the pile of debris that will be cleared away sometime within the next decade, but the important thing is that our goats have a roof over their heads. 

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to a winter with much less weeding to do around here. :o) And, if the breeding had been successful, fresh goat milk and cheese! Now, doesn't it sound too good to be true? I wish we could know for sure whether they are pregnant or not. It's difficult to know just by looking. Well, we'll find out eventually. 

I do have to say, these are some lovely-tempered goats. They don't butt or kick, and in general haven't displayed any sign of aggression - just the type of animal a newbie goat owner dreams of. I trust you join me in hoping it will be smooth sailing for us this winter!

PS: Fias Co Farm is a wonderful website with heaps of information about keeping goats, and it is evident it's written by people who genuinely care for their goats and raise them in a gentle and caring way. I'm learning loads from the experience they share with everyone!

12 comments:

Lisbeth Reade said...

How wonderful! How much land do you have?

Mrs. Anna T said...

Lisbeth, I'm so bad at taking an estimate of that sort of thing. :o) We're not a far-flung farm, but we do have a nice amount of land around the house, so that the goat pen is not right under our kitchen window. :o)

Kate said...

Nice!! I want goats so bad! We have 3 acres that really need to be weeded... haha! What type of goats are they? We need good newbie goat owner goats too...

Leah Brand-Burks said...

Wow! How industrious! I am proud of you and yours. You must let us know if a goat doe comes up pregnant! How awesome it would be to have that milk and cheese like you hope!

Mrs. Anna T said...

Kate, I'm not sure, the guy who sold them to us said Saanen but I'm pretty sure they are not pure bred, pure Saanen wouldn't do very well in Israel I imagine.

As for their temperament, it depends on the individual goat so you have to see what you are buying. :o)

Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com said...

She's a beauty! I hope your big accomplishment means you're feeling better now?

Mrs. Anna T said...

Leah, I've just browsed web pages for assisting goat birth and got so queasy I'm kind of wishing them to be *not* pregnant. Doing natural birth is one thing, helping someone else (even if it's a goat!) is quite another. :o)

Katie, yes, I'm feeling much better, thanks - which is all for the best, because poor Tehilla has the stomach bug again. Sigh. Really, can't say when we've ever had so much sickness around.

Magnolia Tea said...

Oh, Anna, don't worry about the does birthing. When the time comes it's best to stand back and let them handle it themselves. Problems rarely arise that don't correct themselves just at the right time - such as a breach birth. Those are very rare. :))

Kate said...

Mrs. Anna,
Sorry this next comment has nothing to do with your awesome goats but I wanted to ask you. I'd love to get your perspective on how social media has taken away from the slow pace of life. I've just noticed that one could literally spend all day on facebook or any number of other social media outlets discussing whatever and looking at different things people post. It's gotten to the point where almost every business (this is how it is here in the US anyway) is on facebook doing advertising and just trying to engage the clientele. Such as it is, rather than discussing ideas with a neighbor over the fence, coming back a few days later with new perspectives, ideas, and having the pace of these topics going on in a natural way... with the internet it seems like your mind could be opened up to new ideas and even changed at the snap of a finger! It's something that I've come to just think as an unnatural pace of life and sometimes an unnatural way of learning although I highly value the internet for that (educational purposes, etc.) Love to hear your thoughts if you have the time, I'm so sorry to hear little Shira is sick!! Hope she gets better soon.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Kate, I think I've blogged about this before but, generally speaking, I agree with you. Facebook and internet in general is highly addictive and we must be careful. I try never to spend more than 10-15 minutes a day on Facebook.

Lady Anne said...

Your doe is so sweet, and I love the ribbon around her neck. My husband always jokes that if I found a giraffe, I'd put a bow around its neck and stand it in the stairwell so it would have head room.

Have you named them yet?

Mrs. Anna T said...

Lady Anne, it's more of a temporary collar than a ribbon :o) They are usually walked on a leash, I don't want to risk them getting hit by a car. But I've asked my husband to buy real collars for them.