Sunday, December 9, 2012

Not very festive

Last night, we lit the first Hanukkah candle, but I'm afraid this post isn't going to be exactly festive. You know I don't often go into rants here on the blog, so I hope that this time you will just bear with me, because I believe I have a good reason to complain. Besides, I really need to let off some steam. 

Yesterday after lunch, we managed to get a really nice, lazy Shabbat nap. Then, some time later, we woke to the sound of barking outside our window. My first thought was, "oh no, the dog got loose". But when I pulled the curtain aside, I realized two things: 1) the dog isn't mine, and 2) one of our goats is pressed into a corner of the balcony, trembling from head to hoof, and BLEEDING from her ear. As soon as we hurried forward to rescue the goat, we noticed with a shudder that a chunk of her ear is actually missing. The poor thing was clearly in pain, and so frightened.

Well, it turned out the dog's owner was not far away. He took his dog for a walk, and simply decided that he'd let her loose for a bit, so she might get some running about. Unfortunately, she chose to run into our yard and maim our goat. If this isn't enough, when we confronted him we met total lack of remorse and utter defiance. According to him, he "couldn't be expected to always keep his dog on a leash". When we pointed out that we, too, sometimes let our dog run around with no leash for exercise, only we do it FAR from anyone's (human or animal) place of habitation, he had the audacity to say he "can't be bothered to walk too far", and that we are guilty (!) for not keeping our goats penned up. As if it would be justifiable to have his dog in our yard as long as no actual damage was done! Just to clarify matters, we aren't talking about someone old or crippled or very overweight, but about a young, lean, apparently fit man who looks perfectly capable of jogging along with his dog. This is just what is very accurately described by the Hebrew word "chutzpah". 

He offered to pay "whatever expenses" we might have as a result, but naturally, nothing will repair our goat's ear. Of course, this morning I issued a complaint to our local authorities. A person who owns a dangerous dog and isn't prepared to be responsible for it shouldn't be allowed to keep one. 

The poor sufferer, today. She appears to be eating with good appetite, but she doesn't get into everything as much as usual. Most of the time she keeps close to the house, and to me. From this angle you can't see her maimed ear, but if you have very tender sensibilities, you probably want to skip the next couple of photos.

 I just feel like crying every time I look at her. She is so friendly, and a special favorite with us all. I've been giving her treats (cabbage leaves, banana peels and other such delicacies) and extra affection all day. 
We called our vet and got instructions for disinfecting the wound, and today we emailed the photos above to her. Perhaps she'll drop by for monitoring, to make sure there is no infection. 

It is so VERY crucial to be responsible for one's dog, especially if you own a large breed. Our dog is a pet and generally very friendly to everyone, but we wouldn't dream of letting her loose if there's the slightest chance she might encounter and startle someone, let alone do actual damage. I shudder to think about what might have happened if one of the children was playing in the yard at the time the aforementioned accident happened. 

21 comments:

Joy said...

Irresponsible pet owners are the most inconsiderate people on earth. Their actions endanger everyone including their pet. This is especially true in the case of a dog who attacks a person (don't know if it applies to other animals) and is then required to be euthanized as can be the case here in the States. Should the dog have to pay for the sins of its owner? Hmmm.

I do hope your sweet goat heals nicely.

Leah Brand-Burks said...

I am SO sorry you had to endure such an ordeal. She looks like a darling sweet girl.

Zorro said...

What an adorable goat! Give her a big hug for me.

Thia said...

That's a terrible attitude on the dog owners part! I hope that your goat makes a quick recovery.
Happy Hannukkah!

Mrs. Young said...

I agree with you, Ma'am. You be encouraged. It amazes me the lack of respect for others that is so pervasively exhibited now. I pray that your little goat feels better. Be encouraged.

Liora said...

:-( Refuah Shelaima to your adorable goat! I am so sorry that she had to go through what she did. Poor thing! That dog owner sounds callous and irresponsible for letting his dog loose like that and then not even having the decency to apologize for your injured goat.

joyce said...

I hope your sweet goat heals quickly with minimal pain and discomfort. It makes me angry that pet owners can be so blase and irresponsible. And uncaring. I hope he pays your vet bills.

Anonymous said...

Are you allowed to shoot a dangerous dog like that, in Israel? Do you know if the authorities did anything about the dog?

--Genipher

Analytical Adam said...

I wish your husband would think outside the box and living in Israel would not cause you to just practice exile type Judaism.

The fact is by the way Mrs. Anna this was a civil war of Jew vs. Jew and in addition the miracle never happened. The religious leaders censored the books of Maccabees which by the way mention nothing of this miracle other then lighting candles in the Temple for 8 days. This idea of lighting candles in your own home you can do but God never commanded it. It is simply to imitate other cultures that had their lights during this time of year to celebrate winter.

It is taking God's name in vain to claim God commanded us to light candles. God never commanded us in that regard.

In fact this celebration is actually imitating other cultures.

The whole holiday is based on repressed events. That if we really want to know we should read the book of Macabee's.

Analytical Adam said...

The whole idea of doing this so everyone else can see also is just being in your face and not the way God asks us to celebrate any real holiday.

Otter Mom said...

A lot of places in the US require that the dogs be on leashes. If they attack a person or another animal, they are often taken away by the authorities. Sometimes they are euthanized, which is a shame because it's not their fault that their owners are so irresonsible but it is often the only thing that can happen. But then the person is free to go get another dog and the cycle starts again. Be very vigilant, both of the dog and his owner. I hope that your sweet goat heals up fast.

Chava said...

:( Poor goat. Why are some dog owners so careless? My father in law (72 years old) got knocked down by a large dog and the owner didn't see the problem, having him unleashed on a busy walk way.

Some people are bone idle or just don't think, or both lol.

Rachel said...

Perhaps this dog owner needs to be reminded that the Torah holds owners responsible for the aggression of their animals--especially if they knew the animal was aggressive and were deliberately negligent.

I hope your goat heals well.

Anonymous said...

You have a tender heart, Anna, and your goats have a caring, compassionate shepherdess.
Mrs. L.

Esther said...

I was so sorry to hear about what happened to your goat! We had a similar experience with our German Shepherd puppy, and it was so suprising how little some people care. I hope your goat heals! She looks like such a sweetie!

Joluise said...

We are the owner of two Dobermans so I am very aware of dangerous dogs and how they need to be kept safe from others and never off the leash when out . I'm so sorry you came across a dog owner who is not being responsible.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Adam, I'm afraid your comments are very much off-topic.

Otter Mom, that is precisely what I cannot understand. Instead of taking care of the real problem - the owner - the dog is being punished. In my opinion people who were found to be irresponsible owners shouldn't be allowed to keep a dog for a set period, such as, a year ot two (like a driver's license that might be taken away in certain circumstances), and then the decision might be reevaluated.

Lady Anne said...

I am so sorry to hear about the damage done to your goat. I'd be skittish, too, believe me!

We have a dog that is half greyhound and half pit bull. (I know; that mating must have come with an instruction sheet!) He is really very sweet, and the greyhound part of him needs to RUN, but I know people worry about pit bulls (they need to worry about the owners, not the dogs)so I am very careful about keeping him on a run or a leash, or only letting him loose in the pasture where he can't frighten anyone.

The person who owns that dog is not a man, but a child. A man takes responsibility for his own actions.

Kristen said...

Your goat is so sweet. I'm sorry this happened and that the dog owner was so irresponsible.

Mrs. Parunak said...

I'm just so sorry this happened to you. I remember being out for a walk as a girl with my little brother, when we met a man with his huge dog off leash. The dog charged right at my brother. The man got him in time, but he seemed to think the whole thing was a joke. When my father mentioned that there were leash laws (we were in a public park), the man just said, "Is that so?" and walked off. It feels SO AWFUL when others endanger those we love and so clearly don't care.

Leanne said...

I am the owner of a large dog who is extremely friendly and gentle - but I would never dream of letting her run loose around property where there are other animals present! Dogs instinctively perceive other animals as a threat and a danger to their owner, and a lot of times are "confronting" the other animal out of their need to protect. It is not the dog's fault; it is not the other animal's fault. It is the fault of the owner for not being responsible! People who cannot be bothered to take the time to do some basic research on animal behavior [especially in this day and age, when they have information readily available at their fingertips!] should not have pets, period. My husband and I both loved the picture of your goat and hope that she is recovering well!!