Tuesday, February 5, 2013

New peeps

Our newly hatched chicks, made it out of the eggs this morning, in our homemade incubator. Now they are much fluffier than when I took this photo, a couple of hours ago. 




I thought their odds of making it weren't very good... overall it wasn't a great hatch to begin with, many of the eggs turned out to be infertile so we were left with only 4. Then, the past few weeks weren't exactly great eletricity-wise - many power shutdowns around here, yesterday one that lasted almost all day. Our emergency unit went out of order, too. Yesterday was to be their due day, and I was sure the fluctuating temperature and humidity had done them in, but they made it today, just a little late. We are all so excited, us and the girls (now 4 and 2.5 years). Two more eggs are due to hatch tomorrow, and one has pipped already.

So far it appears we have one male and one female chick, but I might err. Hopefully, in a couple of weeks, if all goes well, we'll know for sure. 

Here is a photo of their Mom. She's an Israeli (Baladi) chicken, so technically not a recognized breed, but I thought her feathering is one of the prettiest I've ever seen on a chicken, if I may say so myself, so I was very eager to get chicks from her. She was hatched in our incubator too, last June. 


And Dad. They are siblings, hatched in the same brood, so I have high hopes for the lovely feather pattern to be repeated. 

I will make sure to keep you all posted!

Update: today, the chicks look all fluffed up. :o)


6 comments:

Leah Brand-Burks said...

They are so sweet, and that is one beautiful rooster!

Lady Anne said...

I agree with Leah - that is one handsome young man you have there! We raised chickens when I was a kid, spending summers on my grandparents farm. Silly chicks would peck at the dots on the newspaper and ignore their food. I think I told you that I once spent the better part of an afternoon trying to teach a chicken to talk. "Chick-en. Chick-en. You are a chick-en." I finally got the bird to say "tut-tut" to my "chick en" and figured that was as good as it was going to get! Who's a silly chicken?

Anonymous said...

Before retiring from farm life we raised chickens. I could never tell the sex at this tender age. We got them from a hatchery and they were mostly female, but even the experts made mistakes and a few males were in the batch. They would come in the mail. We would get a notice to come to the post office and pick them up. Now, I don't know how they survived.iclappy

Anonymous said...

We found that home hatched chickens were always more settled and nice than the ones that arrived in the mail from a hatchery. It was more than just the stress from being mailed and was likely from the home hatched ones imprinting on us better than the others.

We also found that not much regularly scheduled home schooling happened on hatching days. :) Just a different kind of home schooling.

Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com said...

Oh, the feathering on the hen is gorgeous! I hope your little chicks pull through.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Anon, with Israeli chickens, I can easily sex them on their first day by looking at the wing feather-base. If you carefully tug on a chick's wing and pull it outwards (very gently, so as not to hurt the chick), you can see a line of feather-base (from which the feathers will later spring out, I hope I'm explaining it correctly). Males have a single line and females a double line (a short and a long one). I've found it doesn't work with all breeds, though; for example with our RIR/Sussex crosses this technique wasn't effective.