Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Part of koshering the house for Pesach

Every year, an important part of koshering the house for Pesach is making sure that by the time holiday rolls in, all the foodstuffs in the house are either marked "kosher for Pesach", or at least don't have chametz ingredients in them. This month we have quite a lot of ground beef to go through, and as we all are getting a little bored with meatballs, yesterday I was inspired to make these empanadas. 
I took my last bag of flour (flour tends to get everywhere, so from now until Pesach I prefer to buy bread), that is, 1 kg, added just a pinch of salt to it, a dash of olive oil, and gradually, enough water as I kneaded to make nice pliable dough. So sorry for the lack of exact proportions, but it really is all about the feel and texture. If, when making bread or rolls, you always make sure the water is the last ingredient you add, and you add it gradually while kneading or stirring, you will almost never go wrong. 

When the dough was ready, I put it into the refrigerator for half an hour. 

Then I prepared the filling. I took:

1 large onion, chopped it finely and fried it gently in olive oil.
1 kg ground beef, put it in the same pan and stirred it until it was brown and crumbly.
1 finely grated sweet potato, into the same pan it went, and finally...
2 crushed garlic cloves, salt and pepper to taste, and a pinch of oregano. 

I then took out the chilled dough and rolled it out thinly on a flour-sprinkled table. I carved circles out of the dough with the help of a cup, put a tablespoonful of filling in the middle of each circle. I pinched them closed with my fingers to form half-moons, placed on a baking tray, brushed with beaten egg and sprinkled with some sesame and poppy seeds. Then into the oven they went, for about 3\4 of an hour at 200C, until they were nice and golden. I got about 20 and put them straight into the freezer for Shabbat.

I still have quite a bit of filling left over; this afternoon I plan to stretch it by mixing it with cooked rice, and make baked stuffed tomatoes. This is the first time I'm doing this, so wish me luck! 

3 comments:

Heather said...

These sound delicious! I would love for you to link up with what i am eating http://www.townsend-house.com/2013/02/what-i-am-eating_22.html

Michelle said...

That sounds delicious and very easy to make. I may have to try my hand at them.

Leah Brand-Burks said...

Very resourceful! Those look very yummy. :-)