Wednesday, February 13, 2013

She must be kidding

...And pretty soon, according to the time count and to various websites I've been frequenting ("Goat Keeping for Dummies", etc). Her friend and companion is due around the same time, but this girl is a first-timer, so I'm a little anxious on her behalf. I will keep you updated as to how things go. 

Even when we lived in our old home, my husband voiced the idea of getting a couple of goats. If I had known how cute these animals are, I would probably have been much more enthusiastic, instead of putting up reasonable objections (we had a blanket-sized back yard, and no fences between us and the neighbours). As of now, I'm happy to report that for the first time, we're having a weedless winter - the goats took care of it all for us. 

True to my plan, I've been devoting roughly one hour each day to pre-Pesach cleaning. Today was a fine sunny day, so we took advantage of that and made a good start on the shutters from the outer side (we have plenty of big windows in this house, which means a lot of light and air, and a lot of windows and shutters to clean). Shira and Tehilla worked by my side, merrily lending me their little hands with the sweetest attitude that made my heart sing. We chatted while we worked, and I told them about my last night's encounter with an insolent fox in our yard (for lack of better ideas, I just yelled "Shoo!" and he slinked off, looking more annoyed than frightened). 

I hope you all are having a lovely, productive day as well!

Mrs. T

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a question about your chicks. We're getting some in a week or two, but are unsure of what to keep them in while they're inside our house. The phamplet we were given at the store says not to keep them in any sort of plastic box because the red lamp we need (to keep them warm) could melt the plastic. But if it can melt plastic, can't it also start a fire in a cardboard box or heat a metal box so that the sides burn the chicks?

BeckyT

Mrs. Anna T said...

Becky, we always keep chicks in a cardboard box (large or small, according to number of chicks). We put two wooden planks across the top of the box, and on those planks we rest the heating lamp in its metal case. We use a blue lamp rather than a red one. We have never had fire started; we simply make sure the lamp does not come in direct contact with the cardboard or wood. We also put a thermometer in the box, to make sure the temperature is right. If it's too low, we move the chicks into a lower box (so the lamp will be closer to them); if it's too high, we change for a smaller lamp or move the chicks into a taller box.

If you still aren't sure, drop me a line by email and I'll send you a photo of our "chick nursery". :o) We keep it very simple, but have successfully nurtured many chicks that way.