Sunday, March 3, 2013

Saturday morning surprise

The day of first kidding has been excitedly anticipated here ever since we found out our does were pregnant; I have read about a hundred lists titled "how will you know your doe is about to kid" or "signs of imminent labor in goats", but didn't see any of them in either of our ladies. I knew they were close, but figured it would take some time still, perhaps a week or two. 

Well, was I in for a surprise!

Yesterday morning, just as Shira and I went out to open the door of the goat house, we saw one of our does already very busy cleaning her new baby. It's a little male, snow-white and cute as a button. 

We ran (in rapturous delight) to tell Daddy about the new addition to the goat family, and of course I milked (sorry for the pun) the occassion for all its educational opportunities. I showed the girls the umbilical cord and the placenta, which was delivered soon after the kid. 
 And here's the little buckling nursing off his mother. She really did me a kindness by kidding without giving us any hint beforehand, because otherwise I probably would have stayed awake all night with her, biting my nails... 
Now we are preparing to see another kid or two (from our other doe) any day. And of course we're looking forward to the beginning of milking, in a couple of weeks or so.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's a cutie!

Christina said...

I just thought I'd mention...I don't know about goats, but with cows you have to milk them out within 48 hours otherwise they will get sick. You can't drink the milk for the first week because it is colostrum. But you have to milk them still. I just found this article about goats, and yes you have to milk them within a few hours of them kidding
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/clay112.html

Miu said...

What a nice surprise!
He's so cute!

Mrs. Anna T said...

Christina, I have read that article, but as far as I understand it speaks about instances when the kid needs to be bottle-fed. In a normal natural way, as far as I know, the kids take care of the milk. However, with this doe I have noticed her udder is lopsided because there is only one kid and he favors one side, so I did begin to milk her. I was also told that milk with colostrum has a yucky taste, but in our case, it's really delicious. :o)

Becky said...

What an adorable little kid! He's perfect :)

Tracy's corner said...

Awww! So cute.

Christina said...

I guess you have dicovered for yourself... but yes you have to milk them anyway regardless of whether you are bottle feeding them or not. Because most animals produce more milk than the baby will drink. And/or don't drink all the sides. :) Have fun training the goat for milking, I'm still dealing with a new first time freshened cow, it definitely gets better as they get into routine, but I'm still dealing with milk getting splashed and dumped! :)

Kristen said...

What a darling little baby!