Monday, May 20, 2013

The best I can of what I have

Every day, my time is occupied by taking care of two small children, a house, and a bunch of animals. I live in a remote, way-out-there spot, and I have no car (no driver's license, actually, although I do plan to get one). This means that the majority of my time is spent in the home and its surroundings. Oh, we do go on outings, of course; day trips, shopping trips, family reunions and celebrations, but sometimes I wish I had a car I could just take on a whim and drive somewhere... even to the grocery store when the vegetables have run out and my husband won't be home until late.

Then again, I try to look on the positive side. Not having a car at my disposal has its benefits, too - it saves money, it limits pursuits which could have been frivolous, and it propels me to explore all that I can do, learn and plan, right here at home.

Sometimes, my imagination takes me to times past, when the wives of mountain shepherds, fishermen, pioneers in the wilderness on lonely farms, spent all day and every day (perhaps except a few days a year at an annual fair) in their homes or the surroundings of them, grinding flour, drawing water from a well, tending livestock, washing clothes in a stream, and seeing little to no people outside their family. Compared to them, we live in a world of almost endless stimulation (and I wouldn't say it's always to the good). 

Electricity extends our day well beyond the natural sunlight hours. We need but to click a button to hear the voice of someone far away, or to research any information you can think of on the internet. Books and films allow us to glimse a thousand different lives. If you turn on a TV, its flickering never stops, the pictures and scenes run in a never-ending succession. 

And so, although I still want to have a car someday, I keenly realize the need of limiting ourselves in activities, pursuits, purchases, relationships... much of what the world has to offer is interesting, but far from all of it is worthwhile, if you consider that we are beings of finite time and resources. 

I go on, attempting to make the best I can of what I have. 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I in the last couple of years have been "downsizing". I find when I have smaller items, I have more room, money, and time to do other things. You being from the US sound like you don't miss the excesses.

BTW, I heard talk show host Micheal Savage say a few times, Jews in the US hate Israel. They keep voting for Obama(and the Dems) when his administration is clearly behind overthrowing govts. which have cordial relations with Isreal, and in the govt. you can't use words like Jihadi, Muslim terrorist, radical Islam, etc. The Fort Hood shooter is not considered an act of terrorism. Obama was raised in the Wahabi sect. I know this is not in the scope of your blog, but I would like to know what Israelis(who are religious) think of him .

Carrie @ 20-Something Homemaker said...

This is really beautiful.

I have found that I become completely drained, overstimulated and incredibly antsy when I've been exposed to so many options- varying in every medium you've described. I can't process all that I've taken in, and I become a worthless robot. I actually think I may have somewhat of a sensory disorder, but before finding out for sure, I've been able to be more productive and enjoy myself more by limiting my exposure, like you described.

I don't have a Facebook, and that has caused a lot of people to think I disagree with having one. I don't. I just can't handle it. Same goes with the majority of social media sites. Nothing wrong with it, I'm just incapable of monitoring my time effectively in addition to many other things.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that this is great perspective. I love reading your blog, and you are the sole person responsible for helping me make the decision to stay home as a homemaker. So thanks :)

Mrs. Anna T said...

Carrie, I think that in many instances, this "sensory disorder" diagnosis is just false; a person is told they cannot cope with the pace/abundance of stimulation of modern life, but perhaps many of us just aren't *suited* for it. Some have adapted, some have not. If there is a way of life for you to make you happy and productive without medications/diagnosis/treatment, even if it seems quirky to others, I say go for it. :o)

Mrs. Anna T said...

Anon, I'm not sure what you mean by "you being from the US"... I've never set foot there :o)

As for Obama, I agree that he is no friend to Israel. I believe many Jews vote for him because the secular Jews are in their majority liberals/democrats... not every Jew is a Zionist, and not every Jew cares about Israel. Unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the response. I thought you once lived in the USA.

Ezekiel 38 & Psalms 83 seems to be getting closer.
I am not Jewish but I consider myself a friend of Israel.
Thanks. Shalom

Mrs. White said...

This post is encouraging. In this difficult economy, more and more families are spending time at home. They are finding more things to do at home - productive things.

Looking back in history at how families lived in rural areas, and how they were rarely able to leave the property is fascinating.

blessings
Mrs. White
The Legacy of Home

joyce said...

There was a time in my life when I had no car and two kids to raise on my own. It was difficult. We used public transportation or paid for taxi cabs. Grocery shopping was done once a week and carefully planned. I had to rely on others to take us to church, school events, and etc.

After nine months, I was able to purchase a used car. It made my life a lot easier. I've had a car ever since, but some of them were unreliable and unsafe because I couldn't afford anything better. Automobile repairs and maintenance was not easy.

I am at a better place in life right now. I'm still by myself and I manage just fine. I am blessed. I have a good car that's paid for, and it has an extended warranty and a roadside assistance plan.

I am so very grateful for what I have. There was a time when I struggled financially and every day life was very stressful. Still, I was always thankful and I was content with what I had. God always provided for me and the kids.

I've never forgotten those lean, hard years. It made me a better person and helped to shape my kids' character in positive, productive ways. As adults with families of their own, they appreciate what they have and have generous, caring spirits.

No matter where we are in life, there is good in it, and positive things can come from pain and adversity.

Bookworm_Wood said...

Very good points! Thanks for sharing! I have felt mopy about how my three small children limit my opportunities to 'get out' before and compared our lives to the greater culture. We really are quite blessed to be somewhat sheltered from the greater culture though. It's really not that great!

momto9 said...

Such wonderful thoughts! I'm really enjoying your blog and have been reading a long time in spurts. Its so fun to watch you develop as a person and mother. A beautiful process!!