Thursday, September 12, 2013

Some frugal "I wish"es

If we're already in the frugal living train this week, allow me to voice some not-very-connected thoughts I've been having (just as, no doubt, many who are considering how they can do more on less). 

I wish I could be the one who does the shopping. I'm the one who writes the shopping list around here, but as you well know, there's a world of difference between writing a shopping list and actually going into the store and loading the cart. Every time my husband comes back from the store with the week's hoard, I'm having these nerdy health-freak frugal fantasies about how different our freezer and pantry shelves would have looked under my supervision. We would never, of course, have soft drinks of breakfast cereal in the house, we would forget how a tub of ice-cream looks, and we'd improve our shopping cart so much, both health and budget-wise. 

I wish we didn't have to keep a dog. I know this will sound awfully coarse to all the dog-lovers out there, but we only keep ours for safety reasons. We do like our dog, of course, but not enough to forget she's a constant financial drain, in terms of food, vaccines, flea shampoo, tick collars, etc. We've toyed with the possibility of installing a good alarm system instead, but the area is just teeming with large animals such as wild boar and deer, and they pass right below our verandah. The alarm would be constantly set off. 

I wish we lived at a time and place where a person could walk through an empty area, pick a piece of land, and build a house there without worrying about permits, building regulations, or paying off a mortgage. So many people could do very well if they were just given a plot of land and a pair of hands. Sometimes I watch historical films with adorable huts in the middle of a forest, for instance, and think to myself, "these people might have had no plumbing - but they had no mortgage to pay off, either!"

On a totally unrelated note, here is a photo of our white Silkie, held on Shira's lap, and doted on. 

I wish all my Jewish readers a health-safe, spiritually productive Yom Kippur. 

7 comments:

Susan said...

Oh I feel so sad for your dog...they are such giving creatures.
Susan LaFave

maria smith said...

I totally understand your struggles. It's very challenging to juggle a budget, negotiate between husband and wife, and all that stuff. You're not alone. I have the same budget challenges. I make our own granola instead of buying breakfast cereals, we use green cleaning products, but I can assure you that we all know what a tub of ice cream looks like :)

Anonymous said...

Even having your husband accompany you on a shopping trip changes the contents of the grocery cart, because of course, he has rights, too. If he's not with you, he'll probably not even think about all the goodies he's missing out on. Children are the same way.

Lady Anne said...

I do, do, understand about sending a man to the grocery store. I don't know if you've ever seen this clip, but it is a very funny story about sending a man to the store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YFRUSTiFUs

Lady Anne said...

Oh, dear. I think I gave you the wrong URL for the comedy clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YFRUSTiFUs

The one I sent you is funny, but this is the one about sending a man to the grocery store.

Anonymous said...

Why do you not do the grocery shopping, then--is that forbidden Haredi women? I assume your husband is capable of looking after your daughters for a couple of hours? Or is it a driving thing? I'm curious.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Anon, yes, Orthodox Jewish women never leave the house... only perhaps to take out the garbage, and then they put on a burkah... NOT. :o)

The truth is, a) I don't drive (though I plan to learn), b) even if I could drive, we only have one car, which my husband takes to work. It makes far more sense for him to swing by one of the cheaper grocery stores after work, than for me to make a round trip from where we live.