Monday, January 27, 2014

Surprise egg


Today, when I went into the coop to collect eggs, I found a new one in addition to the usual two I pick up every day. 

Left to right: a commercial store-bought egg (we'll soon be able to quit buying these!!), our free-range egg, and the small mystery egg I found today. 

I didn't spot the hen who laid it, but I suspect it's the little pullet who hatched in our incubator from an egg that was supposed to be Polish. I'm pretty sure she's not pure-bred, though, as her crest doesn't come up to scratch. 

Looking forward to spring, more eggs, and chicks! 

4 comments:

Miu said...

What a nice surprise! :)

Lady Anne said...

They resemble a set of those Russian dolls! Large, medium, and small.

BTW, did you get a chance to find out how many of those 16 eggs were good?

ApprentieMaman said...

Small eggs taste better and are less fat :-)

Mrs. Anna T said...

Lady Anne, unfortunately she abandoned her eggs before we were any the wiser. :-( I guess it was because we transferred her, but we couldn't leave her where she was, she was too unprotected. Now she lays at the nesting box, though, so hopefully if she decides to sit again it will be there.