Thursday, July 17, 2014

Lemony lemon cake



For those who have been wondering about us, we are doing good, despite the turbulent events in Israel. In fact, there have been no missiles in our area at all - this doesn't mean we are unconcerned by what is going on in the rest of the country, of course, but we're keeping up a normal life around here.

Yesterday, I decided to try a new lemon cake recipe on the spur of the moment. I have tried to make lemon cake several times in the past, and it always came out too dry; the taste of lemon wasn't sufficiently pronounced, either. Well, let me tell you, this recipe isn't only the simplest I could find, it's also very, very satisfyingly lemony. You will need:

1.5 cups flour
1 cup sugar (reduced from original recipe) + 1/4 cup for the syrup (again, reduced)
3 eggs (I used 4 small ones)
2 large lemons, as fresh and juicy as you can get 
1/2 cup oil - you can replace it by butter if you wish, of course
A pinch of salt
3 tbsp. water (if the batter seems too thick)

Grate the lemon peel, making sure you only take off the yellow part. Juice the lemons. 

Mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder, and add the eggs, oil, lemon peel, half of the lemon juice, and water if it's needed. Keep the other half for the syrup. Line a pan with baking paper, pour the batter in, and put in the oven. Bake at medium heat for about 30 minutes, or until knife comes out almost dry from the middle of the cake. Don't overbake!

While the cake is baking, make the syrup. Mix 1/4 cup of sugar with the second half of the lemon juice in a small pot and heat, stirring often, until the sugar has melted. The syrup comes out rather runny. 

Once the cake is baked, take it out of the oven at once and poke some holes in it (with a fork, for instance). Then pour the syrup over the hot cake, trying to spread it as evenly as possible. Let it sit and cool for a while before serving. 

I'm sorry, but I was too lazy to whip out the camera before the cake was gone. If you like lemons, you will enjoy it! I plan to try re-making this same recipe with oranges, when they are in season, and then maybe I can reduce the sugar even more. 

11 comments:

maria smith said...

Isn't it nice when we can sneak away from all the laundry, deep cleaning and mayhem to do a little pleasure baking.

Linnea said...

Sounds very tasty! I've been dreaming of a lemon cake for a while now, maybe I'll try this. Some whipped cream might work nicely with this?

Kim said...

Very glad you are all alright!
Sounds Yummy! I just wish I wasn't the only one in my family who likes lemon cake!
Kim W

Mrs. Anna T said...

Linnea, I think whipped cream works wonderfully with just about everything. :o)

Tia said...

I'm glad you are ok. Praying for peace and heavenly justice in the Holy Lands.

Mimi said...

the cake sounds wonderful...
so glad that you are in a safe zone.
we are praying for your safety as things become more turbulent in your homeland

Anna said...

I love lemon anything! Yum :)

I just wanted to say also that I've been a long time reader of your blog and am indebted to you for introducing me to the follies of feminism and the joys of being at home.

Have you heard of this blog?

http://whatswrongwithequalrights.wordpress.com/

It reminds me of some of your writings!

Anna said...

Oh no! It looks like you forgot to add the measurements for the baking powder! I'm the middle of mixing the ingredients together too. I'll have to see if Google helps.

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad to hear the update from you Anna. I've been thinking of you and your family quite often recently. It's wonderful that no matter what might be happening in the world, we can truly make our homes a sanctuary for our families. (And lemon cake is my favorite!)

Praying for you all,

~Jessi

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...


Your lemon cake looks delicious! When I make it I may put it in the refrigerator to chill and then put a little whipped cream on each slice as served.

I was happy to see your post today, I have thought of you and hoped everything was ok often in the last few days as I listened to the news. Even though you are thousands of miles away, it seems like you are my neighbor.

MDiskin said...

Anna, I think that for a cake or muffin-type consistency, 1 TBS baking powder for every 1/5-2 cups of flour should work.

This sounds like an amazing cake -- I think I'll try it for my husband's surprise birthday party this week! I just need to scale it for...50 people. :)