Thursday, July 5, 2007

What I learned in college

Some of you have probably read my previous posts about college. You know I had to struggle there. An immoral, ungodly environment, saturated with rebellion against the values I hold dear; an impossible timetable, that made me spend up to 16 hours a day, 5 days a week, outside my home; having to hear about people's latest adventure with the opposite sex; professors and students soaked up to their bones in feminism, careerism, egalitarianism and atheism.

The worst thing, perhaps, was the horrible competitiveness I felt in my fellow students. It got especially strong in our last semester. No one was helping each other anymore. Friends were turned into rivals. When girls a year below us asked for help, I've heard voices saying we shouldn't help them because they will ultimately compete with us for places in the workforce! And it wasn't just one person who thought this way. I'm sorry, but I think that's sad.

However, it was not all bad. I met some wonderful people, and learned many things that can be a blessing to my family when, God-willing, I will become a wife, mother and homemaker. Nutrition, health and medicine; menu planning, cooking and baking; food safety; wise consumer behavior. All of these can be so useful to a homemaker!

How do I feel about college at the end of my years as a student? While I see college education certainly had a benefit for me, I don't think it's necessary at all to become a skilled, intelligent, talented and capable woman. I think many of the things I learned in college (well, maybe not molecular biology) can be easily and naturally learned at home. Also, I was blessed by the opportunity to continue living at home with my mother. I don't know what could have happened if it wasn't so.