Saturday, September 15, 2007

A peaceful life

Stress and worry, always trying to accomplish more than you can ever squeeze in short 24 hours, running around with our to-do lists, jotting things off and feeling satisfied for a moment – until at the end of the day, we are overwhelmed and sink, exhausted, into dreamless sleep.

I've talked a lot on this blog how women are expected to have it all together – marriages, children, homes, careers – and manage all of those successfully, without falling apart (which, I believe, isn't realistic). Men are also facing the consequences of our crazy life, and are encouraged to work so many hours it makes me too tired to even think about it.

Have you ever heard of 'Ensure'? They offer a variety of balanced liquid foods for hospital and facility patients, particularly those who have difficulty eating or have no appetite (like cancer patients). Recently I heard Ensure is coming up with new campaign, directed at… people who have no time to eat! Want to save an extra hour every day? Just take a few cans of 'Ensure' and you've got it! Now, I'm asking myself, what are we coming to?

We know we don't want any of that. While rushing through our days and trying to accomplish everything at top speed is so common now it's actually regarded as normal, it's not normal or healthy – it's insane! It's a dangerous trap because we don't have the time to stop and evaluate our lives and realize we're off track.

The question is, how much are we willing to sacrifice? I'll be satisfied with whatever my future husband earns as long as it covers our basic necessities. But how does one decide what is a necessity and what is a luxury? How much are we ready to eliminate in order to have a simpler, quieter life, with more time to spend on things which really matter?

No answers yet. My journey towards building a peaceful life is yet to begin, and I'm progressing with much caution and trepidations. I have no doubt, however, that time, experience and prayer above all will allow me to find the balance in the sweet and simple life I'm seeking.