Monday, October 15, 2007

Created in His image

Of all the ideas I share on this blog, it seems that my humble thoughts about masculine leadership seem the most controversial. When I started blogging, I had no idea it would be so interesting. As a matter of fact I started it mainly for commenting on some lovely blogs that don't allow anonymous response. I didn't know that I would have such a variety of readers – men and women of all ages and various faiths.

Now, I understand that I can't really have a coherent discussion about what I see as the woman's role, with someone who rejects God ("what you believe is an outdated myth that should have died out long ago" – I don't think I can or should respond to that). But this one particular last objection I received mentions God, so I thought a little bit about it and decided to reply.

God created both men and women in His image ("So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them"). But is it true that men and women are 'their own persons'?

"And the LORD God said, it is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him."
As women, we are, of course, persons – precious persons created in the image of God. But we are not 'our own persons'. We are helpmeets. Exactly what being a helpmeet means is a subject for another post, but if you don't think the book of Genesis is 'outdated' or simply doesn't fit in with the 21st century lifestyle, there's no way you can go around this.

Soon after that, a very clear statement about masculine leadership was made - "thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee." Why will the husband rule over his wife? Simply because he's a man? Because women's intelligence is inferior? No. Because God said so.

Sometimes I get remarks along the lines of, "Wake up! We're not in the 19-th century anymore! Everything has changed, including relationships between men and women and their respective roles! We're all equal now!"

Please understand that my purpose is not to follow the 19-th century standards. While I like the Victorian era, I don't think our aim should be to go back to the 'good old days'. What I want to follow is God's design for us, as women.

Men or women, we are all children of God. Do you think our loving Father prefers some children over others? Do you think He loves men more than He loves women? Of course not! So why should we think that the role He intended for us is unimportant, unworthy, or doesn't allow us to be happy and fulfilled?