At my sidebar, you can see a new poll I opened, directed at wives and/or mothers who stay at home. The subject of the poll is to find out how many of you planned to stay at home - say, when you were growing up - and for how many it was an unexpected bend in the road. Of course, a poll cannot capture the complexity of an individual situation, so whatever you have to add, I would love to read here.
I would also love to hear your say on the following:
1. How long have you been at home? How old were you when you came home? If you worked outside the home before, how many years of work experience did you have behind you.
2. What prompted you to come home - and stay home? Did you or your husband initiate it? Were there religious, social, financial reasons?
3. What are your particular joys about being home, and/or in what ways do you believe you being home contributes to your family?
4. What are your challenges, frustrations, weaknesses and fears about being at home? Are you afraid of losing your qualification, not having an independent source of financial support, not doing something that is considered "significant" by the rest of the world?
5. Do you live in a community where being a stay-at-home wife/mother is common? If not, have you ever had to encounter naysayers? How do you deal with awkward questions?
Of course, feel free to comment anonymously if you wish. I look forward to reading your input.