Sunday, October 21, 2012

Forgiven

"I'm so sorry," I told a dear friend once.

"You have nothing to be sorry for," was the reply.

I didn't feel that way. I felt I had a lot to be sorry for.

"Please forgive me," I said.

"I have nothing to forgive," said my friend, quite naturally. Again, I didn't feel that way. I felt I had a lot to ask forgiveness for.

"Do you forgive me?" I persisted.

"Yes, of course I do."

In a world where people walk with the viper of grudge and bitterness on their bosom, it's difficult to even begin to estimate the awesome power of generous forgiveness, of friendship, of kindness. Of love.

When you extend those to others, or when you have them extended to you, it leaves a deep imprint on your soul, for always. You just never know when and how you, by a seemingly simple act, change another's life forever.

Some of us are starved for love, for encouragement, for praise. In such instances, warm words of approval, a gentle embrace, some shared laughter may be beacons to shine through dark and difficult times.

Many are fortunate to spend their whole lives among their loved ones. For some, the mere memory of having been loved, once, even a long time ago, is an ever-important reminder that they can be loved... that they are, always, loved by G-d, Who has a special place for orphans. I think those who are very much deprived emotionally, those who feel they don't have a living soul in the world they can talk to - for various reasons - can count as orphans as well, in a way, and earn a special place with a loving Father who is ever watchful and sensitive to their plight.

I have been lucky enough to experience generous love.

I have been easily forgiven, when some bitterness was perhaps to be expected.

I will never forget this.

And, there is this song. Sad but so beautiful:

No comments: