Monday, March 4, 2013

And she takes the cue...

"My friend has already kidded, isn't it about time I did the same?"
 This time, I noticed the doe was in labor, and thought I'd stay for the birth... I'd only quickly dash to the house and do the dishes... and of course, when I was back she already almost finished cleaning the kid!
 It's another little male, and doesn't he look like the twin brother of our first? Snow-white, blue-eyed, and adorable. They were both sired by the same buck. 
To tell you the truth I was a little disappointed not to have a doe kid as well; I was really looking forward to a little doe to raise from birth and keep with us... oh well, perhaps next year. But the important thing is, the kiddings went smoothly and now we can breathe a sigh of relief until next kidding season. Also, since there's only have one kid per doe, hopefully this will mean plenty of milk left over for us (we don't separate Moms from their babies; they will have free access to milk, and we'll only take what's left).

7 comments:

Lady Anne said...

What a sweet pair of surprises! I suppose the girls are already thinking up names for them, but how will you tell them apart? I always want to make pets of everything. My husband says if somebody gave me a giraffe, I'd tie a bow around its neck and stand it in the stairwell so it would have headroom.

Anonymous said...

What cutie pies, thank you for sharing these! So glad the births went okay.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Lady Anne, so far we're not thinking names, at least until we decide who, if at all, is going to stay with us long-term - we really don't want to get too attached if it turns out we have to sell or give away an animal, and to tell the truth we didn't plan on keeping a buck as a permanent resident... this year it worked very well for us to take the does for a month to a friend of ours who has a buck, and we hoped we could do the same next year. So, we'll see.

Anonymous said...

I have really enjoyed seeing these little kids. Thanks for the look into your growing farm.

Marie Claire

Munger Mom said...

Very cute! We are watching two expectant cows and an expectant heifer. It is always harder with their first to know how close to calving they are. Can relate very well to the staying up at night and concerned that all goes well.

Anonymous said...

After a few weeks, it is common practice to separate the mum and kid during the day only. That means you can milk in the evening, then the kid goes back with mum overnight, and you don't milk in the morning. Works with cows. No one misses out. Hope this helps :-)

Mrs. Anna T said...

Anon, I've heard of several practices... separating Mom from her kid overnight, during the day, from the moment of birth, not at all... practically, for us, the "not at all" is currently the only option, as our goat barn is really primitive and consists of just a single space. So, the Moms and kids are together all day and all night, and I try to milk the goats as early in the morning as I can, while the kids haven't drunk all the milk yet. :o) We get more than we can drink, and also for cheesemaking, so that works fine so far.