Thursday, June 6, 2013

In gentle hands

I had read a bedtime story to the girls, and enjoyed the precious experience of them falling asleep to the sound of my voice, right beside me (an on me). After a long, full day, is there anything sweeter than drifting to sleep to a much-loved story?

I stopped talking when I noticed their eyes were closed. I shut the book and listened to their breathing, and closed my eyes for a moment, marveling once again at how wonderful it is that there are so many people in the world, so many shapes and sizes of families, so many different walks of life - and yet we all have so much in common.

Another time, Shira asked me to recite a poem about a balloon. "But I don't know any such poem," I said, perlexed. "A poem," she insisted. I leaned back, closed my eyes and improvised. Her smile was better than winning any poetry contest. I don't think I ever came up with a poem so fast before!

It can be hard some days. So, so hard. Sometimes it feels like our lives consist of nothing but whining, bickering, pouting, and a cycle of repetitive jobs. Sometimes I stop and say, "I don't know what to do next." But then a smile breaks through like a ray of sunshine, and by its light I see the true beauty of what I am experiencing now, and what will never return again. I see my children hugging each other, and I see their faces shining with enthusiasm when they discover an intricately woven spider web or a mouse in the storage shed (eek!). "Abba bought us a mouse?! Cute little mouse!"

This fuzzy little one is held in the gentle hands of my 4-year-old daughter. Left to his own devices he might topple over and fall, but those hands on either side of him keep him safe, and he doesn't even know it. We all, too, are held in Gentle Hands, even if we don't know it, or doubt it, or even deny it. May I, and you, and everyone find peace in this knowledge today and in all the days of our lives. 

5 comments:

Campaka said...

"This fuzzy little one is held in the gentle hands of my 4-year-old daughter. Left to his own devices he might topple over and fall, but those hands on either side of him keep him safe, and he doesn't even know it. We all, too, are held in Gentle Hands, even if we don't know it, or doubt it, or even deny it. May I, and you, and everyone find peace in this knowledge today and in all the days of our lives." I just needed to repeat that. What a beautiful thought. Thank you!

Lady Anne said...

Many, many years ago, I looked out the kitchen window and watched my daughter, sitting on a large rock in the yard, swaying back and forth with something in her hands. When she came in, I asked her what she had been doing. "Oh, I found a mouse, and he was sleeping, so I sang him a song and then laid him in the grass."

Oh, blurp! But I still thought it was sweet that she would rock a "sleeping" mouse and sing it a lullaby. Never did tell her just how soundly that mouse was "sleeping".

Miu said...

Your conclusion is so beautiful!

Rose Godfrey said...

Such a sweet post. I always appreciate how you find positive moments and expand them in such a way that we readers can realize that we are daily surrounded by happy moments--if we just look for them and appreciate them.

Kim said...

Thank you. I needed this post and this reminder. I too love bedtime stories with my little one. She has been sick for several weeks and it has been easy to forget how precious this time is.

I also needed the reminder that He holds me even when I think I am going to topple.

Kim