Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Some lovely reads

I have discovered two treasures in my recent Mother Earth News newsletter:

The first article, titled Slow Is Beautiful. I didn't have much time to read when I saw the article and so I began skimming through it, but then I thought how ironic it is that I'm rushing to read something written about slowing down, and I made a break and returned to it later, with a cup of coffee and more leisure. It was such a pleasant and enjoyable read. 

Sometimes I feel I'm getting too frazzled, and then I stop and tell myself, hey, what is the point of living in such a quiet, retired place, of staying home with my children and cutting down on time-consuming activities, if I allow other things to take over? In this day and age, a stay-at-home Mom can feel as busy as a worker that pulls 12 hours a day in some company... and so slowing down really means slowing down. It means that at least during part of my day, I don't feel as though I'm rushing to get everything done on time. 

The second article is about disappearing bees. I do not keep bees, but I found it rather disturbing. I have always liked observing bees, and never saw them as a particular threat... although I do take care to give them their space, as I've never been stung and so don't know if I'm bee-sensitive or not. And oh, do I love honey. Friends of ours now keep hives here, and I can't wait for the time when I can buy some natural honey from them. 

And, since I reserve the right to write whatever I want in random sequence here on the blog, I thought I might tell you about a new favorite side dish we have here: heads of garlic baked whole. I drizzle some olive oil on them and sprinkle them with salt, and they come out very tender. After they are cooled a bit the cloves can be easily squeezed out and even spread on bread. 

6 comments:

Lady Anne said...

Most people in the States feel that the bees are dying because of all the pesticides we use. Of course, the government blames it on "mismanagement" by the farmers. As one man said, "How did all of us get stupid at the same time?"

And no bees - or butterflies - means we all starve together.

We love baked garlic. Spread it on crackers, and if you have it (it's pricey) a bit of brie goes well with the garlic. Oh dear, now I'm making myself hungry!

THE Princess Bombshell* said...

Whole roasted garlic is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to do that soon. It's been too long.

living from glory to glory said...

Hello Anna,
Blessings!
I also read the same articles, but I did chuckle at your words about taking it personally. I also feel that just my own thoughts can make me feel hurried.
We use to keep Bee's but with the drought it is most impossible.
I just love garlic any way I can eat it is yummy, but the way you have tried is the best :)
Blessings, Roxy

Miriam said...

One of my favorite quotes is written by Robert Frost:

'There's absolutely no reason for being rushed along with the rush. Everybody should be free to go very slow.'

:-)

Miu said...

Hello!
I hope I'm not appearing to be too 'smartypants', but if you've never been stung by a bee you cannot have a bee allergy. The body 'needs' the poison from a first sting to develop antibodies.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Miu, you are correct, of course. :o) But it goes without saying that if I haven't been stung once, I haven't been stung *twice*. Right?