Monday, September 9, 2013

In between holidays

Rosh HaShana is over, and I'm back online... for a while, anyway. The autumn holidays aren't near their end just yet. We still have Yom Kippur, Sukkot, and Simchat Torah ahead of us. 

We were away from home during Rosh HaShana, but up until the last minute I couldn't believe we were actually going to do this; I don't remember the last time we spent 3 nights away from home. I had this vague fear that the kind neighbour whom we cornered into who volunteered to take care of our animals would misunderstand the instructions, and instead of feeding the chickens and the dog, would feed the chickens to the dog, or something to that effect. I'm glad to say no such thing happened; once we were back, I made a head count and not a single chicken was missing. 

So, we spent 3 days with The Clan, and it was a very merry time. I sometimes got my vision blurred because of toddlers and tots running before my eyes so fast (there were 6 children under 5 years of age). We made our contribution to everyone's entertainment by fetching along a box of Silkie chicks which we couldn't foist off on any neighbour absolutely couldn't part with. I also took Tehilla's birthday cake with me, and we enjoyed it in a family circle. 

The downside of all the air conditioners working extra hours, the closed windows, and the many people cooped up inside during the hotter time of the day, was me coming down with a bad sore throat on the last day. On Sunday I might have been mistaken for someone with severe speech impairment, if someone had seen the hand gestures and unintelligible grunts I used to communicate with my children. 

And so... we are home again... getting into our usual stride - unpacking, doing laundry, cleaning, cooking, washing up, taking care of the critters - all in slow motion, because I'm still under the weather and Shira is sniffling as well, which makes me suspect the cold is going to take rounds and get us all in turn. But I'm prepared; the herb garden survived three days without watering, and I'm making lots of healing teas with honey. 

Sage is said to have amazing healing properties
And so is rosemary.

I hope everyone are having a great week! 

5 comments:

Mrs.Rabe said...

How wonderful you could spend your holiday with family! I am imagining all the children running around with cousins! Fun!

Take care
Deanna

Lady Anne said...

So glad you had a good time with your family, but three days is about all I can take before I need a vacation to rest up from my vacation. I'm sure your little ones had a grand time with all of their cousins. Now get some rest before the next go-round!

living from glory to glory said...

Hello Mrs Anna, I have been so interested in all the Jewish Holidays! I do know they are appointed days of visitation. As I have always sensed and felt this. We love and support Israel, we pray for your protection. I love your humor and your heart!
Yours, Roxy

Anonymous said...

Anna, it sounds like it was a wonderful time away....all the family visiting, kids tearing around the place, lots of laughter. These are the events that foster the good memories your children will take into their adulthood. :o) Do take care of yourself...the herbal preparations will probably be just what you need.

Brenda

Katy said...

I'll bet your mom loved loving on those babies! :)