Monday, September 30, 2013

Stretch that softener

Remember how I said that stockpiling is an excellent shopping strategy, but there really is such a thing as too much of a good thing? Well, a couple of years ago my husband strolled into a store and found fabric softeners at an excellent price. A really, really great deal. 

He came home triumphant, and I beheld several dozen bottles of fabirc softener. I was just researching how to make my own, but instantly dropped that project and addressed a more pressing concern: how to store all these bottles. Finally, with a healthy dose of creativity I managed to find space for all these colorful rows of softener and... you guessed right, I still haven't used it all up.

The problem is, though the fabric softener works as well as ever, with time (this specific brand, at least) very gradually becomes thicker, until this morning I tried to pour some out and just couldn't, because it had finally gotten too gooey to pretend it's a liquid. It had this beautiful pudding-like consistency. Which brings me back to my original point - even though it may be very tempting to come home with a large store of something and think, "now I won't have to buy this again for years!", even non-perishables can develop some flaws over time. Anyway... 

A quick consultation with my husband ("should I throw these away? Such a pity... my favorite scents...") and a search of the web resulted in a simple and sensible solution. I took a spare bottle, forced some congealed softener into it (using a spoon) and shook it up with some water until reaching desired consistency. Hopefully I will be able to use it easily now, perhaps in a rather larger quantity, as it is now less concentrated.

You are very welcome to share your own frugal tip of the day. 

9 comments:

Rose said...

Anna, when you finish up your fabric softener try plain vinegar, that's what I use. in our Aussie climate towels can dry hard without some sort of softener but vinegar does the trick.

Thia said...

I think it depends on your water type. Try using the regular amount and see how it comes out. You can always increase it a bit until you find the happy place.

living from glory to glory said...

Hello Anna, I always add a bit of water to mine as it does last much longer. I love to do laundry most the time, but I do small loads as it is now just my Hubby and myself.
Blessings, Roxy

Joy said...

How do you store all this? I'm guessing my house is much larger and I am always at a loss for how to store things.

Winkel's Crazy Ideas said...

I had to smile, my father-in-law used to do just the same. Once he bought fifty pairs of military underpants for next to nothing. On getting them home he discovered that they were all different sizes. They were shared out between his three sons and l had a good laugh because some of the ones hubby got were so big that they fell right off. Another time he bought millitary canned food of a very old date, a substancial amount. It tasted AWFUL and he ended up eating it all himself. Among the soldiers it is called "dead man in a box" which l think is a very suitable name. Pam :-)

Mrs. Anna T said...

Joy, we have two cupboards just for storing cans, toilet paper, etc, and I also have some shelves next to my washer. You can use up space under beds, etc.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Joy, we have two cupboards just for storing cans, toilet paper, etc, and I also have some shelves next to my washer. You can use up space under beds, etc.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Joy, we have two cupboards just for storing cans, toilet paper, etc, and I also have some shelves next to my washer. You can use up space under beds, etc.

maria smith said...

I agree with Ana, vinegar is very good green cleaning solution. I have had fabric softener ruin some of the fabrics I washed with it. I think it breaks the fibers down if used too liberally or in every wash.