Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Chocolate cake with original frosting

The stomach virus has made a visit to us again, accompanied by fever in Tehilla's case. She has been resting all this morning, sometimes moving from the couch to the table to have a little snack. Naturally, I've been taking everything very, very slowly. Still, I had time to try a new recipe for chocolate cake, with Shira's birthday in mind. I know, I know - not the healthiest treat, but I've noticed that if I don't make any baked goodies, my husband buys all sorts of sweet rolls, cookies, etc, which are higher in sugar and made from inferior ingredients. 

Anyhow, this was a new recipe shared with me by a neighbour:

2.5 cups flour
2 cups sugar (I used 1.5)
1 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking powder
3 eggs
1 cup oil (I used less)
2 cups water (I used less, around 1.5. It depends on the consistency - batter shouldn't be too thick or too runny.)
A little sweet wine, around 1 tbsp. - it adds a lot of flavor, and the alcohol evaporates during baking.

Mix dry ingredients and then add the liquids (eggs, oil and wine). Stir until there are no lumps. Pour into baking dish and bake in a medium-heat oven until a knife comes out dry from the middle of the cake, which is approx. 45 minutes. I had to loosely cover my cake with aluminium foil during the last 20 minutes, to prevent it being scorched at the top while not quite done in the middle.

Then, when the cake was taken out of the oven, I remembered the recipe calls for frosting while the cake is still hot. What to do? I had no chocolate and I didn't want to make something very sugary and buttery. I settled on an original idea which came out great: I took a couple of tablespoons of date spread (I use date spread quite a lot in baking, it's common in Israel), mixed it with boiling water and 1 heaped tsp. of cocoa powder, until it approximately reached the consistency of chocolate syrup. I then added a little (very little) sweet red wine, no more than 1 tsp., and spread this over the cake. It worked great, and my husband didn't even guess it isn't really chocolate frosting. 



I'm saving this recipe for Shira's birthday, and meanwhile looking for cake design and decoration ideas.

1 comment:

Luba said...

I love your creativity and "making do" with what you have. You are such a blessing to me, Anna.

Luba