Tuesday, November 26, 2013

No-cost nesting box

Here is a nesting box I set up yesterday. It is made from a large sturdy white plastic container my husband found (I have no idea what it was originally used for), with a round perfect-size-for-chicken opening. I put inside some dried leaves I picked up around the place, and on top of them I artfully arranged three "fake egg" large peeled avocado pits.

My chickens have been checking out this construction yesterday and today. I just hope they like it. :-) Last year we had an "egg strike" around this time of year, and it was broken as soon as the days stopped shortening - that is, a long time before spring. Can't wait for some fresh eggs!

2 comments:

momto9 said...

Looks cozy:)

Lady Anne said...

I'm not sure how you'd do it, but a low wattage bulb - night light type - could trick the chickens into thinking it's daylight a little longer, and might increase you egg production. Turn it on just as it starts to get dark (4:30 here) and turn it off when you go to bed.