Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A nighttime visitor

Look what my husband managed to trap under a salad bowl a couple of nights ago.

It's one of the sub-species of Vipera Palaestinae - the most dangerous venomous snake in our area. I believe this was the culprit behind some unexplained chick disappearances that happened in the previous days. We actually found it inside a nesting box. 

Unfortunately, while we were thinking about what to do and whom to call (these snakes are protected animals, one isn't allowed to kill them), it managed to squeeze under the bowl's rim and escape. 

I'm pretty sure it's still somewhere around, though. The pull of fresh eggs and young chicks must be strong. 

Naturally, now I wear socks and shoes with thick soles when I make my evening round of the chicken coop. I also make sure all the chickens and chicks are on their roosts, or in their nests, before dusk. And naturally, no going barefoot outside for the girls after the sun has set. 

7 comments:

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I am not afraid of snakes once I am sure they are not a poisonous variety, but I am very cautious until I am sure they are not poisonous. I would have stayed far away from the one in your picture. It looks similar to a rattlesnake or copperhead (poisonous US snakes) to me. I would never have stayed near long enough to get a salad bowl over it. I hope it goes somewhere else so you don't come across it again. I am glad your husband saw it before it struck him. Would the authorities have relocated it had it not escaped?

Take care.

Susie

Mrs. Anna T said...

Susie, yeah, they would have relocated it. I was also amazed that my husband dared to trap it, I'd just run away.

Mimi said...

very scary....I do not handle snakes very well...will it not get into the house?

Lady Anne said...

I'm sure those snakes also clean up a lot of mice and rats, but it is VERY distressing to find one in your chicken house. I know you and your husband will be very careful, but also know that we are all keeping you in our prayers.

Mrs. Anna T said...

Mimi, I doubt it has much incentive to get into the house. It's attracted by the smell of eggs, chickens (and mice, which hang out in the coop because of all the feed).

MarkyMark said...

That's the kind of visitor I can do without-yuck! I remember kayaking on the Delaware & Raritan canal in NJ years ago; while paddling out of the boat basin and into the canal, I had a copper head snake (one of the few poisonous snakes in NJ) pass right by my boat! I could have reached out from the kayak and grabbed that rascal...

Rose Godfrey said...

Nice to have mouse control, but I'm not sure I'd like the trade off.