Tuesday, July 29, 2014

How to subdue a pumpkin

I love pumpkin. It has this delicious, neutral, slightly sweet taste that makes pumpkins perfect for a wide variety of dishes - soups, pies, quiches, cakes. Not to mention the lovely bright orange color. It's just that, whenever I'm faced with a nice fat chunk of pumpkin, the question is - how am I going to cut it/slice it/grate it? Uncooked pumpkin so hard that, whenever a recipe calls for pumpkin, most of my work actually involves dealing with the unruly vegetable. 

So today, when I wanted to make pumpkin fritters, I came up with a brilliant but simple solution: I took the whole piece, boiled it in a large pot, and when it was done (which doesn't take a long time), I could just scoop the pumpkin from the rind into a bowl, easily mash it up, and voila - it's ready for the making of fritters. No fuss, no mess, no sweat. 

Here's to kitchen tips that make life easier! Especially now that so much of my time is taken up with preparations for the house move, which is due to take place in about a week and a half. 

4 comments:

Lady Anne said...

Marvelous idea! I've baked pumpkin and butternut squash (very similar vegetable), cut side down, and then scooped it out, but never considered boiling it.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about it being way to hard to cut. I have the same problem with spaghetti squash & other hard squash. I usually just stab it a few times & throw it in the oven. When it gets soft enough to cut, I take it out, cut it up & put it back in the oven.

maria smith said...

I sometimes roast a whole pumpkin and then scoop it out. When I have time I process several pumpkins and save the roasted and mashed pumpkins for baking and soups. I don't love all the mess and deep cleaning that comes with cleaning out all the pumpkins so doing a few at once is more efficient.

Kim said...

LOL! I wrestled with raw pumpkin ONCE six years ago. I have used canned ever since!
May your Shabbat be filled with peace.
KimW