Sunday, July 27, 2014

Orangey orange cake and a lot of cardboard boxes

Packing is now in full swing here. Our guest room is bursting with boxes, the closets are almost empty, the curtains have been taken down, and I have this uncomfortable and slightly melancholic feeling I always experience as I look at an emptying house. So many memorable times were spent here, both sad and happy. So many dinners, lunches and cuppas with friends. So many leisurely evenings with propped up feet and a good book, or curled up in an armchair with some yarn and a crochet project. I am so looking forward to when we have moved into the new house and I can start the hard but satisfying work of unpacking, after which everything will be in proper order again. 

Since we have at least two weeks left here, though, my kitchen cupboards are still full and cooking/baking is going on as usual. Today I decided to go ahead and try the orangey variation of the lemony lemon cake. My husband surprised me with a bag of oranges last week - they couldn't be fresh at this season, of course, but they served well enough. Instead of 2 large lemons, I used 4 small oranges - 3 for the batter and another small one for the syrup, and was able to use a little less sugar. 



Mmm... tomorrow, I think I'll make orange juice to go with breakfast. Nothing jump-starts a day like a small glass of fresh orange juice. Why small? Because I'm too lazy to make enough for a big glass for everyone. ;o)

I have detached myself from the news websites a little in the past days, because I felt that anxiety about what is going on was making it difficult for me to cope with the several high-pressure personal situations we are currently facing as a family. I do have to say, however, that while I am generally focused on my private little corner with its chickens, whatever is cooking or baking, and getting up in the middle of the night to comfort a child who woke up with a cough, I also live in Israel. Moreover, I unashamedly live in the "disputed" area of the so-called West Bank, and indeed, as a Jew who believes in the Torah I believe Jews have a right to live - and live safely - in all parts of Israel. While I will never be a second Daniel Greenfield, I will very occasionally share my opinions on certain regional hot topics. 

I am not an authority on anything; not an official, not an expert, not anyone's representative. Since this is a private corner of the web, I did not sign any contract that states my content must be consistent, or that I am under obligation to read, publish, or respond to every comment. Really, if I did, I think my mind would go numb. Just today I received a mile-length scathing retort which stated that, as I admit I was born out of wedlock, this fact must have affected my thinking abilities (!). While it was mildly amusing, I didn't bother to finish reading. I had more important things on my agenda (like packing all my husband's jeans). 

And thus, dear friends, I reserve the right to be as eclectic, inconsistent, and unprofessional as I please. 

10 comments:

Tammy said...

I love your posts, no matter the content. Say whatever you like, it's your blog, and if other folks don't like it, they can look elsewhere. :)

I can't wait to hear all about the new place. Have a safe and happy move!

Anonymous said...

Dear Fried, Just be who you are. Still praying for Israel and your family.

Shalom
E

Thia said...

I hope your move goes smoothly.
I too have backed off reading the news every day. It adds so much stress to daily life.

maria smith said...

Moving is such a big undertaking,all the sorting, packing, deep cleaning and sorting. It's emotional too, and you have other stressors as well. Take it one day at a time!

Tracy said...

Oh Anna! I'm so sorry for the snarky, or nasty comments that come your way. I'm thankful to hear that you are going on with life "as usual". Though I know you're in a very stressful situation, you're doing the best thing you can by presenting a calm home for your girls. Praying for you!

Momzoo said...

I just wanted you to know that as a Christian and American my family is praying for you and your people at this time...

Mimi said...

Ana,
I am praying for your safety, and I also believe that Jews have a right to live in freedom ANYWHERE that they wish to live...
<>
Mimi

Aviva said...

Bwahaha, well, if it makes your mind muddled to be born out of wedlock, I'm sure there's a lot of people out there with very muddled minds - myself included. ;) As for the rest, I'm not saying that politics don't matter, or that you don't have the right to say what you want on your own blog - where everyone reading it is a GUEST, for goodness sake, and should act like one - but it's not even as if this has traditionally been a forum for politics. Yes, you do live in an area which is involved in a struggle. But you have shared, over the years, so much more that connects you to women the world over, whether they live in Israel or Europe or the U.S. or Australia or... wherever. You share recipes, your journey through parenting, stories of chicken coops and focusing on marriage and all sorts of things. We are privileged that you share so much about your life with us. You owe no one an explanation about what political views you hold. You are the one who lives there and sees the good and the bad. I've followed your blog for years now and just wish for your family's continued safety, that's all. Good luck with your move!

Carolyn said...

Will be praying for you and your family as you are moving. Blessings to you and to Israel from another Christian friend in America. Carolyn in Florida

Aunt Mae (~Mrs. R) said...

Praying your move goes smoothly and your family remains SAFE!!