Thursday, January 15, 2015

We did it, again!

I had waited for this a long, long time, but when rubber hit the road, I felt as though there's absolutely no way I can come through it alive. 

On the up side, I did it, as of course I had no choice but to. 

I recall that when I posted about my first birth experience, six long years ago, I was accused of glossing over things and understating the extent of pain, etc. Well, just to reinforce my reputation as a truthful person, I will honestly say that this time around, things were a lot more intense than the first two times - which makes sense, since the entire active labor was comprised in a much shorter time frame. 

I was admitted for monitoring at 2 PM, and the attending nurse was totally unimpressed with the duration and spacing of my contractions, and was about to declare I'm not really in labor, when my waters broke. When I mentioned that last time, the baby came out about half an hour after rupture of membranes, I was finally taken seriously. A few minutes after 4 PM, just before the lighting of the Shabbat candles, I already held our new baby in my arms. 

In between, and not that I want to dampen the spirit of anyone who's planning to do this without pain meds, I lived through hellish pain. As big a fan of natural birth as I am, if there had been a way to know in advance how painful it would be this time, I would have opted to have medical pain relief. As things were, however, there was nothing to do but go through with it (as the midwife, who was a real champ, reminded me).

The midwife who attended me was one big positive point throughout the whole experience. Things were quiet in the L&D, so she was able to be with me through it all. She helped me manage the birth so that not only I didn't tear at all, there was hardly even any soreness afterwards. As soon as our son was born, she placed him on my chest and I had some precious time admiring, snuggling and nursing him before anything else was done, even cord clamping. Only later the midwife proceeded to cut the cord and the baby was weighed, wrapped and handed to my husband, while I was getting cleaned up. 

Two hours later, I was already able to get up, put on my own clothes, and go on business as usual. It was amazing - after all the pain, I was feeling great, barely as though I had given birth at all! The nurses couldn't believe their eyes when they saw me up and about as though I hadn't just delivered a baby. The vengeance came later, when the baby started nursing and the afterpains kicked in. I've heard they get worse with each birth, but it really was beyond any expectation. Thankfully, they subsided about five days later. 

Time doesn't allow me to put into detail everything else that has been going on here, but I just wanted to say thank you for all the notes of friendship and support that had been sent our way. I couldn't reply to each one in person yet, as I've now taken time off pretty much everything in order to enjoy some complete peace and quiet with my husband, our daughters Shira and Tehilla and our new baby boy, Israel. 

35 comments:

Thia said...

Congratulations! Very happy to hear your good news.
My second birth, my son, was a labor and delivery as you described. My next two children, daughters, were not as intense.

Lady Anne said...

So glad for you and your husband to finally have a son! May the Lord bless all of you.

Leah Brand-Burks said...

Congratulations, dear Anna! I've been anxiously visiting your page daily to see, and here he is! What a wonder, a son! You will soon find out it is just **different** with boys. :-D I'm so happy for you, friend. --Leah

Joyce Ackley said...

Congratulations on the birth of your son! I'm sure the girls are thrilled to have a baby brother. I hope you continue to feel well and have plenty of energy!

Lanita said...

Congratulations!! How thrilling for you to have little Israel to join with your little Ladies. What a blessing. I had a very similar delivery with my son, almost 31 years ago.

schweigen.ist.silber said...

Congratulations! This is wonderful news.

Bethany Hudson said...

Congratulations, Anna!! Welcome, Israel!! (And I am with you: after pains are the worst!)

Renee said...

We give thanks to God for the life of your son Israel - we are sure he is well worth the wait!

Glad to hear you are all safe and well!

Campaka said...

I'm all choked and teary reading about the arrival of your son. Congratulations to you!

Anonymous said...

Praise God!

What a wonderful name for a previous baby boy.

Susan

MamaF said...

Oh Anna !! I was sure the baby was born, congratulations ! I'm so so happy for you and your family. I wish you all the best.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!

Gothelittle Rose said...

Congratulations!

My third labor, once my water broke, was also short. It kicked in 'round noon and the baby was born at 2:15pm. My third was also a boy.

ammaslotus said...

Anna, Anna, Anna! My heart is filled with love and compassion for you. I've been reading your blog for years now and feel so familiar. How pleasing it is to know your family has expanded, and a boy! Israel, WELCOME! With love and gratutude for sharing, love Tiffany-Sita

Anonymous said...

congratulations!!

Tammy Coates said...

Mazel tov! A wonderful birth story, and I love his name.

living from glory to glory said...

So very happy for you all! I was so glad to see your post!
Rest and rejoice!
Yours, Roxy

Michelle Gaudreau said...

Congratulations, a son! How wonderful. "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart!" You did, and He did! How precious and meaningful is his name, Israel. May you all be blessed.

Rosemary said...

So happy to have read that you have been blest with a new , little one. I know you all will be doting over little Israel.

Kim said...

Congratulations! So very happy for you and your husband!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new arrival. Blessings as you spend time with all your littles.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Congratulations! It is good to hear that everything went well and you and your son are doing well.

Hilde said...

How wonderful! Congratulations and best wishes for your son. I will pray for him and the whole family. I hope you get well soon and are able to write more often. I missed your posts, but I thought you were occupied with other and more important things - and so it was.

Miriam said...

Here I am smiling by myself. Oh, a baby boy, Israel!!
Mazal Tov and Shabbat Shalom!

Lea said...

Congratulations! Welcome to the world Israel!

So happy you all are well. I had been thinking of you and hoping delivery went well and you were all getting used to each other. :)

Enjoy your new little one and I am sure your girls are wonderful big sisters!

Lea

Jessica said...

Mazel Tov on a beautiful baby boy! Much rejoicing with you!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on baby Israel !!How exciting to have a new baby !!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! Congratulations and best wishes to your family!

Jen in OK

Jamie said...

Oh, how wonderful for you to have a new addition to your family.
Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, that is lovely, praying that you will all have a restful family time. I have followed your blog since when you were still a maid and it is beautiful to read how you are all moving on in your seasons of life. Just wonderful news.
shelley p
from over the pond

Being Refined said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. I'm glad you made it through well.

Blessings to you and our family!

Elisheva said...

Mazal tov!! שתזכו לגדלו לתורה, לחופה ולמעשים טובים.

Rose Godfrey said...

Oh, Mrs. T, I am so happy for you. What a precious gift you have been given. I am sure your girls are so excited to have their sweet baby brother at home with them.

Lillian the Ponderer said...

Congratulations! I so rarely have time to go on blogs these days but I thought you must have had the baby by now. What wonderful news. I am sure everyone is thrilled. Babies are so wonderful. Many blessings to you all.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Anna...we have not had internet in a very long time, & I'm only just beginning to catch up on a few blogs, here & there, that I used to visit quite regularly.

Many, MANY congratulations to you & Mr.T on the birth of your son. I love the name you've given him, too. I'm so very happy that your family is growing, & I pray that the days & weeks ahead won't be terribly tiring for you. It really does take some getting used to having that new baby around the house, but you're such a committed mother I know you'll be fine.

I send you & your family my very best wishes! :o)

most fondly-
Brenda

p.s. I read your post about co-sleeping while nursing, & I agree wholeheartedly! So much better when mama can get at least some sleep.